Whatever Happened to Brett Smiley?

29 Responses to “Whatever Happened to Brett Smiley?”

1. sardonicbastard says:

The most random thing about this whole post is the comments on that last youtube video:

“Is this the same Brett Smiley who had a real pretty sister named Donela, and who was an understudy for the lead in “Oliver”, and who briefly lived at 301 East 52 Street, and who stole the show at the Kips Bay Boys Club Christmas show in (roughly) 1964?”

“Yes, the very one. I’m a friend of Brett’s, are YOU a friend of Brett’s from the past? Give me a private message and we’ll chat!”

The internets, it really is a small world (after all).

2. rachthegoat says:

Anyone else think he looks like Linda Hamilton on that cover?

3. macegr says:

Here’s what happened: he wasn’t all that good.

4. atomicelroy says:

I guess I shouldn’t generalize.

5. CVR says:

Wow. Brett makes Jobriath look like a megastar in comparison. Ah the 1970s.

6. Richard Metzger says:

#3

Cyr, well put!

I’m planning a Jobriath post too!

Richard

7. jim says:

Sorta reminds me of the movie “Velvet Goldmine”.

8. Richard Metzger says:

#5 Jim

It is a lot like Velvet Goldmine, but that story is more based on the career of one Jobriath Boone (everyone says Bowie and Bolan, but it’s more Jobriath than either of them). I didn’t really like Velvet Goldmine too much myself, but the attention to detail in that film was amazing. There are two places in the film where you see the album covers of the Maxwell Demon character and both of them are based on the cover art of the 2 Jobriath LPs.

Richard

9. DavidPFarrell says:

The book cover, the linked video, the myspace page…

So full of wrong.

I was just going to walk away and not reply, but then it popped up again in my RSS reader after I deleted it.

Please can I have a unicorn chaser now?

10. Chris Santiago says:

Hi Richard, I was wondering what happened to you. Not even Gary Baddeley knew. I’m glad to see you still have a creative outlet.

11. atomicelroy says:

Having lived through this era of music the simple fact is like #2 stated, a lot of this “unknown” music was not very good, most good music from this era is already too well known, and played way too much still, not making room for others to show their innovation and talent.
    There is a reason it wasn’t popular way back when. No one is going to find a hidden trove of under appreciated artists from the 60′s or 70′s or 80′s.
    The cream rises to the top, the rest is sour milk.

12. ill lich says:

#21 BRETT BURTON

I believe you broke Godwin’s Law in your post. . . when you mentioned the name “Vanilla Ice.”

13. Halloween Jack says:

Jobriath, heh. I saw an album of his in a remainder bin once and was so tempted to get it, but something told me that it probably wouldn’t be on the order of, say, Aladdin Sane. Now I come to find out that that album is a collectors’ item. Damnit. (Also curious that his real name is Bruce Wayne Campbell.)

14. wolfiesma says:

I totally see the Hedwig connection.(HUGE fan.) But, alas, I’ve not seen Velvet Goldmine… Did they name the movie that in tribute to the VU? I love the band, Lou Reed, etc. I guess not as much as my neighbor, though. She supposedly has a Lou Reed tatoo. I never heard that crazy album you were talking about a few days ago. But I really love the album that has the song, “Sex With Your Parents.” It is a f’d-up title, but I love that song and the rest of that album. Anyway, thanks Richard, I will have to give this Brett Smiley a listen. Maybe his (her?) music doesn’t stand up to the best of the music from the 60′s and 70′s, but- neither did Hedwig’s music! That is part of the charm, right?

15. pahool says:

Richard, I will give you my soul if you make all the old Infinity Factory episodes available. MY F**KING SOUL!

16. Richard Metzger says:

#8 Atomicelroy

I strongly disagree. True that most “failed” acts had but one album or a couple of singles they left behind, but there are PLENTY of obscure artists still left to discover from the 60s, 70s, and 80s that put out several records that have still not made it to CD (and probably never will).

Not to get into a pissing match with you or anything, what about bands like The Poets, known as “the Scottish Rolling Stones” or the single-named one hit wonder Keith, who put out two great lite-pop records and one insanely overblown psychedelic concept album? Other acts that come to mind are long-forgotten figures like PJ Proby or Vince Taylor (the main inspiration for Ziggy Stardust). Barbara Streisand’s younger sister Rosalind Kind put out two amazing albums in the 60s that sound like a female Scott Walker, etc, etc, etc. 60s electronic noise bands like Cauldron or White Noise? Soul singer Jon Lucien. Jobriath Boone who someone has already brought up in this thread. Reggae artists like Joe Higgs (“Life of Contradiction” –a great musical masterpiece– was out of print for 33 years!) or the recently departed Alton Ellis (the Smokey Robinson of reggae as I like to think). Even Big Youth was out of print for years. (And what about Jandek? Well… he’s not exactly *good* I suppose)

My favorite example of a (nearly) forgotten band returning like gangbusters after someone currently famous or influential champions them is Orange Juice. Their records remained out of print and unreleased on CD until fairly recently. The original drummer, who is one of my best friends, was AMAZED that the world still cared about his high school band, but still care they did. Today OJ is credited as THE most influential Scottish post-punk group, they feature in documentaries about the era, chapters in books about them and the reissue of their early singles was voted best reissue of the year in MOJO. Franz Ferdinand laud them in interviews, etc.

There is SO MUCH obscure yet great stuff out there that to make a blanket statement like ‘The cream rises to the top, the rest is sour milk’ is simply not true and literally thousands of audio blogs on the Internet prove this point.

Check it out, you’ll have fun trying to prove me wrong!

Richard

17. Richard Metzger says:

#9 Wolfiesma

Velvet Goldmine was the title of a (great) David Bowie B-side.

Richard

18. Alys says:

I’d never heard of Brett Smiley before, and the interview and performance on Russell Hardy is pretty laughable. The song itself isn’t too bad (a bit bland), but Brett’s rolling around on stage trying to look alluring (?) really just looked silly. And then he had to open his mouth for the interview….

I looked up the single Va Va Va Voom, and that’s a little catchier, though still not fantastic.

19. Richard Metzger says:

#23 PAHOOL

Hey man, like um… I’d totally like take your soul like and everything but I ain’t got ‘em.

Take a look on http://www.media-underground.net

I’m glad you’re interested, it’s very flattering to me. Thank you!

Richard

20. wolfiesma says:

21. Richard Metzger says:

#13 Wolfiesma wrote:

“Va Va Va Voom! OMG, I love that song. That could have totally been on the Rocky Horror soundtrack. And if you can’t get down to that, then I don’t know WHAT to say.”

True dat. You can never, ever scrub that riff out of your head once you’ve heard it. Steven Marriott on guitar and Elton John’s drummer. Produced by Andrew Loog Oldham. Truly it’s a “find” isn’t it? –glad to hear you liked it.

22. wonderama says:

More importantly, whatever happened to Guy Smiley?

23. ill lich says:

#* ATOMICELROY

There are plenty of bands from that era that were ignored or forgotten, and not because their music “wasn’t very good”, but because they were ignored by their record label (something that still goes on today), or because they self-released their album(s) and/or had no distribution. Were Nick Drake, The Modern Lovers, or Big Star “not good” simply because their albums didn’t sell at the time? To be fair, there were a lot of crap bands back in the 70′s (and the 80′s, and the 90′s, and…), who were justifiably ignored, but your argument also implies that only the popular bands were good; there were lots of popular bands who released several albums and filled big arenas but who were really quite horrible (Bloodrock comes to mind, but I could just as easily lump Grand Funk Railroad into that category as well, even though I admit to somewhat liking Grand Funk).

That said, I’m not blown away by this Brett Smiley record, but I can see plenty of people liking it.

24. midsentence says:

Since she moved from Boston to Brooklyn last year and catching a few of his shows, my girlfriend has become an acquaintance of Brett’s.

He is a very sweet, sad man.

25. M.Whittier says:

The photo on the book cover looks amazingly like the iconic image of Irene Jacob, from the Kiezlowski movie, “Red”.

Has anybody noticed the freaky similarity between the book cover photo and Irene Jacob from Kieslowski’s “Red”?

27. Brett Burton says:

@#8

Huh? Are you for real?

Dismissing all the obscure music out there as not good is just plain lazyness. The entire Northern Soul scene was based on DJs digging up lost gems. Small regional American artists reformed their bands and toured the UK to excited audiences and some hits even charted years after they were initially released, due to play from British DJs.

Similarly, for the past few years DJs have been rediscovering Italo Disco tracks that were never very big in the US, to the point that the songs are being repressed on cd and vinyl and some are heard in clubs so often they now seem overplayed.

I’ve watched a roomful of twenty-something hipsters sing along (in German!) to Grauzone’s Eisbar! WTF? As a DJ I often get requests for Q. Lazzarus’ Goodbye Horses or The Outfield’s Your Love, two 80s songs which I had never heard before maybe 6 years ago.

There’s plenty of good stuff out there. Popular opinion supported Hitler and Vanilla Ice. Success is no indicator of quality.

28. Takuan says:

that was it: “The Man Who Fell To Earth” cover 1976

29. DGallardo says:

Interesting… But more interesting for me was that under Related videos was listed a clip of the elusive Kate Bush on the same show.