12 Responses to “Alan's War: extraordinary graphic novel memoir of a US GI who arrived in Europe at the end of WWII and stayed”

If you like this you might also check out Bill Mauldin’s “Up Front”. Not a comic per se, but he was a cartoonist for Stars and Stripes through many different campaigns in the European theater. Just throwing out another recommendation in this vein for people who like comics and true life insight into the “Last Good War”.

2. jetsetsc says:

I liked the way Pynchon described the occupied “zone” in Gravity’s Rainbow. My great uncle was US Army and assigned as a mayor of a small German town in the US zone right after the war. His experience was nothing like as anarchic, but he’s got some great slides of the period.
    -J

3. Bionicrat2 says:

Newsarama posted an interview with the writer/artist today:

4. Gbaji says:

Sounds remniscent of Lars von Trier’s Zentropa, in which a young American (of German descent) looks up his family and gets a job in (immediate) post-war Germany. The Byzantine politics of the fractured society bewilder our hero, who is exploited in every possible way until he at last loses it, grabs a machine gun and demands explanations from everyone.

I saw the movie just after spending a year studying in Austria, and I yelped for joy at the end.

5. urshrew says:

The picture on the cover alone is worth the purchase, I think.

I’m glad to see a post-war examination of Europe out there. That’s a fascinating time for political theorist, if not for arm chair military buffs.

6. smgrady says:

This reminds me how different our present Middle East endeavors are from other conflicts. Maybe the rule should be: we’re only allowed to go to war if we can all shake hands and bum around in the region after. This looks very interesting.

7. buddy66 says:

Thanks for the tip. I am late in warming to ”graphic novels,” but have read/viewed some very good ones of late. This should be interesting because I was in postwar Germany at roughly the same time as Cope.

The masterpiece of the genre is Thomas Berger’s Crazy In Berlin. It is also a stylistic masterpiece, worthy of being designated Literature with a capital ”L.” In fact, IMHO it’s the very best WWII novel by an American, despite its taking place in the immediate weeks after VE Day.

I came upon Maus by accident one day. What an intro to the world of graphic novels. This one you’re recommending excites me. I can’t wait to get a copy.

9. Potoman says:

Nice to see Alan’s War on Boing Boing. I’ve known this for a few years because it’s published here by a very good indie french publisher named l’Association. If you like this kind of graphic novels, i would also recommend Epileptic (published by Fantagraphics in the US i guess) and Persepolis (Pantheon).

10. JMEYERS says:

I’m a HUGE fan of Guibert and this book looks amazing! Did you see the video of the way he created the art for the book? He literally DRAWS WITH WATER then puts a single drop of ink to let it bleed across the page. Saw this on the :01 blog yesterday and my jaw is STILL on the floor.

I can’t believe he did the entire book that way!

11. buddy66 says:

Sorry, I clumsily implied that Crazy In Berlin is a graphic novel; it is not. It’s just a plain old work-of-genius novel in the post-WWII occupation genre.

12. Beedie says:

Thanks for posting this, Cory. It looks like something I’ll have to add to my list.