Zoe's Tale: Scalzi's smart-ass young-adult sf thriller

10 Responses to “Zoe's Tale: Scalzi's smart-ass young-adult sf thriller”

1. spocko says:

I just finished Lost Colony. The dialog is wonderfully witty. Two characters have a snarky relationship whose conversations remind me of deadpan back and forth in a Nick and Nora movie or Dudley Moore and Sir John Gielgud in the movie Arthur.

What I also liked about Lost Colony is that it deals with the issue of power plays being run by various groups all at the same time and how doing the honorable thing sometimes is important to do and has consequences beyond what you can imagine.

I’m looking forward to Zoe’s Tale and her smartass comments to people besides her “90 year old dad”.

2. padster123 says:

OK – amazon order for “Old Man’s War” placed.

Next.

3. mdh says:

Hey, you’ve featured this author a whole bunch – why not just have him guestblog for a spell?

Question from the father of an 11-year-old boy: is this book suitable for him? He loves his sci-fi (he blazed through the Artemis Fowl books), loves reading in general, and is rather mature for his age.

Thoughts?

5. gabu says:

Just finished reading Old Man’s War, and to paraphrase Kenny Banya, “It’s gold, Jerry! GOLD!” Seriously, had trouble putting it down.

6. Tom Hale says:

Is it as good as Heinlein’s Podkayne of Mars?

I read that book while in my teens and loved it, though the ending may not be too kid friendly.

7. Outtacontext says:

The Old Man’s War series is very good. I read the three books out of order and still enjoyed it.

8. jjasper says:

Tom, that depends on your standards for “as good”. It’s a nice adventure, but Zoe is a bit older than Podkayne, so there’s teenage themes and adult themes. The ending of Zoe’s Tale is as big of a tear jerker as Podkayne, though.

If you like Heinlein, you’ll probably like Scalzi’s works. Try Old Man’s War first.

MDH – Scalzi’s busy at his own blog.

9. Wally B says:

It’s “The Last Colony,” not “lost.” I had to run to the bookshelf to double-check cuz I was suddenly feeling odd to have read the title wrong (and told other folks about it wrong), but no, I read it correctly. LAST, not LOST.

Oh, and yeah, I’ve been waiting for this one to come out in paperback. I got turned on to Scalzi’s work via the Tor newsletter, and I’m a big fan. Smartass for sure, but yeah, a very good writer.

Is it just me, or the dodgeball team Dragons is a hidden bow to Orson Scott Card and the Dragon team in “Endril’s Game” novel ?