Donate Your Used Digital Camera to LA's Skid Row Photo Club

14 Responses to “Donate Your Used Digital Camera to LA's Skid Row Photo Club”

1. Snakeophelia says:

“Born Into Brothels” is an absolutely amazing documentary, too. Definitely worth a rental from Netflix if you’re unfamiliar with it.

2. beavertondude says:

I’ll be at the Midnight Mission on Skid Row on Thanksgiving with Dick Van Dyke and The Vantastix, singing songs and helping distribute meals.

3. Dave Bullock (eecue) says:

So I want to thank Xeni for posting this, we’ve gotten about a dozen cameras so far today. Awesome!

4. Patrick Dodds says:

Good idea for a project. I had no idea how many people were living there though – that’s a pretty dreadful stat.

5. nerdler says:

Yh! Tht’s wht bms nd! CMRS!!!

Shsh.

6. Dave Bullock (eecue) says:

So roughly 12 cameras have been donated, awesome! 2 have shown up so far, will document and blog about the recipients reactions tomorrow.

7. jungletek says:

“The SPRC started as an idea…”

I suspect you mean SRPC? Nice article, I wish them success.

What? “About 8-9,000 homeless people live there.” I don’t believe it. Of course there is plenty of evidence of American indifference to their fellow Americans (let alone to their fellow Iraqi human beings) but 8-9,000 homeless in a single encampment in LA??? I would have thought that the US population would drop rapidly as the words “a great country” stuck in people’s throats and choked them.

9. Dave Bullock (eecue) says:

Thanks jungletek, I fixed that in my original post.

=]

Any word on the minimum size sensor they’re interested in?

to

ANONYMOUS , NOVEMBER 24, 2008 1:49 PM:

we will use anything! Some members are using discarded camera phones and a growing waiting list of worthy members continues to get longer. Anything that is donated will be put to use, regardless of how obsolete it may seem.

12. folkclarinet says:

And also read the book “The Soloist” by Steve Lopez (soon to be a movie!). It’s a really cool story of a journalist befriending a former Juilliard student who lives on the LA streets. Really interesting depictions of the homeless population in LA.

13. Dave Bullock (eecue) says:

Well right now that have 10 megapixel cameras which is great for the size we’re showing them at which is 13″x19″… that being said, one of our members shot a photo on a cell phone that looked great at that size. Ideally the larger the better, but they’ll be happy with anything.

-Dave

14. Dave Bullock (eecue) says:

I believe that person posting above me is Michael Blaze, the co-founder of the Skid Row Photo Club. He wanted me to post his contact info:

mblaze@skidrowfilms.com