23 Responses to “Little Nemo in Slumberland, Many More Splendid Sundays -- a new gigantic collection of Winsor McCay's lush and surreal comics”

You are right, these books are a dream (pun intended). I prefer to read mine lying on the couch, with the books on the ground (on a newspaper to protect).
    There is also a Frank King Walt & Skeezix in the same size.
    Sunday press have promised to make at least 8 of these books.
    Paul
    (Another Lambiek frequent visitor)

2. Peter S. Conrad says:

Little Nemo as a hardcover is not news. We demand Little Nemo the MMORPG!

3. buddy66 says:

This is just splendid! Maybe there will be a lower price after Xmas. As a young art student and apprentice signpainter, I studied every McCay panel I could find; he was a master of perspective. The Sunday comics once boasted draughtsmen instead of smart-mouthed little animals with round tummies.

“Hearts.” I once screwed up a review by writing “Charles Foster Hearst.”

4. feralman says:

these books are great great things

5. Vanwall says:

This has been an awesome couple of years or so of Winsor McCay’s work – these two volumes of Little Nemo, the Dream of the Rarebit Fiend large format earlier, and also the Sammy Sneeze/Hungry Henrietta book! Fantastic work in it’s original visual presentations are sooo much more exciting.

6. Justin France says:

I adore large, lush books. I’ve bought the odd book based on the stock and the feel above the content.

A few useless but gorgeous architecture annals lying around the place.

As for Nemo, I’ve only seen the smeared, smudgy, dull repros mentioned. Be curious to see what the fuss is about.

great great surreal books…

reading this makes me want to get them…

8. Hans Davies says:

I WANT THIS!!!

9. jamesq68 says:

Winsor McCay is amazing. I’m a graphic designer and can’t draw very well, but I love WMc’s stuff. I will be drooling over this next time I hit a bookstore.

Is that a Sleestak mask in the background?

10. Foolster41 says:

This is wonderful. I’m a pretty big Nemo fan (as well as a fan of Mercer Mayer and Maurice Sendak who were both influenced by McCay’s work).
    I recently re-read volume 1 of the Nemo collection (I think published by fantagraphics, not sure). I’m definitely going to check this out.

11. Yep says:

Looks cool – I’ve never read Little Nemo (never saw it in my Sunday comics) My 6 yr old has been devouring the Tin Tin collections – maybe this would be a nice diversion for her.

12. Ugly Canuck says:

Ah I will buy once Big River starts selling them. Already got the First Volume, and have made present of same to several.
    This is good news.

13. Apreche says:

That’s pretty cool, but I’ll pass. I already ordered a set containing this and this. That should be enough I think.

14. isaacb2 says:

I want to hear more about William Randolph Hearts — he sounds like such a nice guy, with a name like that!

15. JArmstrong says:

My parents had a wonderfully big book of older comic strips, a great portion of which was devoted to Little Nemo. That book was the springboard for many a fantastical journey around the house and yard.

Seems to be £118 on Amazon.co.uk but $99 on .com when will this tyranny end.

17. Ugly Canuck says:

Ah yes , William Randolph, of “Hearts & Flowers”, the Victorian Publishing Co.

18. Frank W says:

I saw a copy of this at Lambiek, the comic shop you must visit if you’re ever in Amsterdam, and I totally agree it’s awesome. “Little Nemo” is unsurpassed to the present day. A humbling experience for anyone who would try his hand at comics.

19. Bender says:

I bought this two weeks ago (yes, that’s right, I’m that far ahead of the curve), and it is cool.

20. Keeper of the Lantern says:

Cory:
    So where do you score your comics?

I get mine at that comic place in Camden, which is decent as far as I can tell.

Is there something better in North London?

Dr. Terwilliker: Is it atomic?
    Bart Collins: Yes sir, VERY atomic!

22. sionnan says:

I got this book from my bro for Christmas last year. It is just gorgeous. I used to read it to my boyfriend at bed time.

Its sitting by all my French Tin Tin books. Any artist/designer should have this.

23. The Thompson Five says:

I clicked on the Amazon link and as the page was loading I thought to myself “That looks like a hundred dollar book”, sure enough. Can I borrow yours?