Frederik Pohl, blogger

9 Responses to “Frederik Pohl, blogger”

1. MMusick says:

Just checked my RSS feed and found this while listening to Obama’s inauguration speech. I work for Vice Magazine, and in last month’s Fiction Issue, we featured an interview with Mr. Pohl. I think you’d find it worthwhile. Cheers…

Science Fiction’s Hidden Hero: Frederik Pohl Did It All, First

2. Fred H says:

Cool! I loved THE COMING OF THE QUANTUM CATS, and am currently reading THE DAY THE MARTIANS CAME. I will check both links out.

3. bjacques says:

Man Plus. I read a bit in Fantasy & Science Fiction. I’m still trying to wrap my head around Fred Pohl staying at the same hotel that Sid ‘n’ Nancy would years later.

It’s not so hard on second thought.

Long may he wave.

4. EH says:

#1 So, was Mr. Pohl’s attire that day a “do” or a “don’t”?

5. tvkirby says:

Wow!

I have great memories of random elevator conversations with him in the 80s and early 90s at various cons.

A legend and a fantastic author. I’ll definitely be following his blog!!!

6. pinehead says:

Pohl is a name I haven’t heard in awhile. Despite not being too interested in sci-fi stuff, I did chance upon his Heechee saga and ended up reading it all. I can still vaguely remember checking-out Gateway from the school library, then going through all of them, one by one. Pohl is an excellent author, and it’s cool that he would write a blog and connect with his audience like this.

7. Keeper of the Lantern says:

Huh? Frederick Pohl is ALIVE?
    Soon you’ll be telling me Abe Vigoda’s alive.
    (There’s a little Firefox plugin somewhere that gives you a constant readout telling you AV’s status as a living being.)

8. Stefan Jones says:

Pohl is best known for the Gateway stuff, but y’all should check out the books he wrote with Cyril Kornbluth.

And man, also, especially, the short-short “Day Million.” A posthuman love story between a cyborg space pilot and a prenatally transgendered otter-woman, with arch commentary about the rate of progress.

Last time I met Pohl, I suggested that “Day Million” was the first SF story about the Singularity.

Then I had to explain the Singularity.

He thought it was utter horseshit.

9. Takuan says:

more apt lyrics than you realize, good night all, tomorrow is a new dawn.