How to make a tiny polymer clay orange

17 Responses to “How to make a tiny polymer clay orange”

1. Bob Doles Communist Doppelganger says:

@1:

Really, though, the only reason you’d need to play the world’s tiniest violin would be to lament your lack of tiny polymer clay oranges, a problem that is now solved.

Now I just need a tiny “Polymer Clay Oranges” pennant to wave.

2. Lauren O says:

Tilt-shifted.

(I can tell by the pixels.)

3. oasisob1 says:

I’d like a tiny polymer clay violin to accompany this piano: http://www.xkcd.com/532/

4. Noelegy says:

Last summer, during the time I was job-hunting, our 7-year-old niece came to stay with us for a couple of weeks. I had a shoebox-sized carryall filled with various colors of polymer clay, and sculpting tools (a well-meaning art project that never took off), and, running out of things to keep her occupied, I got out the clay and we started making dollhouse food. That stuff is addicting.

I had a polymer clay technique book that had a woefully short section on making food, and she and I modeled food for three days, fired and varnished it, and I sent it all home with her except for the tiny, adorable plate of California roll (complete with convincing wasabi and pickled ginger) that I made and kept for myself. We didn’t make any oranges, though. And I wonder why. My life seems incomplete without wee clay oranges.

5. anaximander says:

Looks to have originally come from here – she has loads of books covering food & other miniatures.

6. Lars Haeh says:

This is the same extruding process used in making some types of hard candy.

How It’s Made did an excellent job of documenting the process in this video:

The results are astounding.

It doesn’t look like there’s any credit on the sites linked – the orange tutorial is by Angie Scarr. Here it is on her site: http://www.angiescarr.co.uk/UK_Oranges_Demonstration.html

8. Ned613 says:

But its not a navel orange!

9. Rezpect says:

Yep, that’s exactly what it is.

@#10: What we really need is how to make a giant hand and razorblade.

man, you English sure have a weird sense of what is funny

12. Gilbert Wham says:

This was BB’ed a couple or so years ago if I remember correctly. They’re still pretty cool little oranges though.

13. LYNDON says:

This is the same extruding process used in making some types of hard candy.

And, at least I assume, quite like how they make the lovely millefiore glass in Murano and places that copy Murano. Except colder.

14. HaltingPoint says:

Looks like the person with the blog is now aware of their boost in incoming traffic and has put a stupid interstitial ad up. Yay for spammers.

@#3.. re: the tiny piano- do you think he asked for a tiny pianist?

16. guy_jin says:

Why aren’t they making tiny violins? I NEED a tiny violin!