"Mysteries" Magical Tour

22 Responses to “"Mysteries" Magical Tour”

1. noen says:

The Stargate series repackages a lot of this nonsense with their ascendant Masters and what not. It’s what ruined the show for me. Once any TV show or movie or anything else starts going down the “Mysterious Mysteries Of Strange Mystery” route you know the writers are just being lazy and it’s gonna be all crap now.

2. Takuan says:

say what you will, mystic-mastering still beats working for a living. Besides,like professional wrestlers, you are providing a needed service. If you didn’t do it, their weak minds would be snaffled up by the catholics or the mormoms or some other crowd. Cultists actual contribute to world peace. What’s a mass suicide next to a jihad?

3. stosh machek says:

i read this book last year & i couldnt stop thinking about r. crumb’s mr. natural character …shuffling ouutta the desert to enlightenthe squares, put the touch on the wallets of those ready to but enlightenment & makin it w/ some flower power chicks

Indeed, it’s a Mortensen photo.
    Jodi Wille
    Process

You can listen to an interview with author of “Master of the Mysteries,” Louis Sahagun, here —

6. Patrick H says:

This looks great – I’ve ordered a copy. There’s an excellent book called “Madame Blavatsky’s Baboon” (http://www.amazon.com/Madame-Blavatskys-Baboon-History-Spiritualism/dp/0805210245) about Western mystics, taking in usual suspects. Well worth a look if you are interested in these folks.

7. SteveNZ says:

Would that be a William Mortensen cover? It looks like his style.

8. thickdot says:

I’m starting to gain a greater appreciation for those that would even try to begin new religions and philosophical paths. What could be a greater challenge than to change the thought patterns of the communities in which they live(d)?

Creative endeavors, for me, tend to stay on the canvas, to lift that game off of the canvas and throw it directly into the human consciousness seems a near impossible task.

9. Cupcake Faerie says:

He has sort of a Deepak Chopra look about him.

@ Gareth

I’m wondering why you would have gotten such a malodorous scent from MPH? I have not read the Secret Teachings, but from my research it seems that book is widely held in high regard as a compendium of esoteric knowledge. What have you or any other readers gathered that his might not be the tastiest milkshake?

11. Robbo says:

He looks like he’s reading the very last line on an eye test chart.

12. LouisianaDan says:

I thought he looked a lot like his nemesis…Houdini.

13. irsean says:

Many people try to label Manly P. Hall as an occultist. Unlike Blavatsky, he was simply a scholar. He never pushed any ideal, simply assembled a Compendium of Knowledge.
    It’s odd that several people says he looks like Houdini’s arch-enemy. In fact, they were both Freemasons and therefore Brothers.
    Hall never “taught” Secret Ways, he merely reported on them as any Historian would do.
    I will pick this new book up because he had a fasc inating life and because I have so much respect for the Institution he establish, UPR and the Society to which it has supported.

14. Lester says:

Wasn’t Blavatsky the Blavatsky of America? She founded the Theosophical Society in New York, she became a naturalized citizen and she lived in West Philly BEFORE it was trendy.

15. Lester says:

Louisianadan, I had the same thought. He looks a lot like Houdini, http://www.haunteddecatur.com/houdini01.jpg

16. FoetusNail says:

Reading this post and not knowing anything about this quack, another snake-oil salesman suddenly came to mind and then there he was, L. Ron…

17. ill lich says:

Apparently you can read Blavatsky’s books online:

There’s a reason for “quantity over quality”– selling books. Forget “pulp fiction” this is “pulp religion.”

18. Gareth Branwyn says:

@16
    I don’t own Secret Teachings, and haven’t seen it in… ah… Ages (sorry) but I DO remember being impressed with it. I think that’s an established classic and I give him props for that.

I lived in a commune at the time and we had an occult study group. We had a budget to buy books and bought a bunch of Manly P Hall and Theosophy/Blavatsky texts. I found Blavatsky utterly unreadable and had the distinct impression that she was just makin’ shit up.

Besides Secret Teachings, we got 5-6 other Hall titles, a couple were on Freemasonry, as I recall and a couple were more self-help titles that seemed very dated (and like we’d wasted our slim budget on fluff). Honestly, at this point, I don’t remember any specifics, just a generalized sense that there wasn’t much rigor behind the work and that there was a big element of fantasy behind it. At that point, I hadn’t heard any of the accusations of him copying others work or citing questionable sources, but when I later heard such things, it didn’t surprise me.

19. ill lich says:

I picked up a couple of Blavatsky’s books at a flea market once (2 volumes of “The Secret Doctrine”)– they’re a real hoot, the biggest gobbley-gook nonsense I’ve ever heard. Example:

“This female “Air” is our Ether, or the Kabalistic Astral Light. It is then, the Second World of Simon, born of Fire, the principle of everything. We call it the ONE LIFE, the Intelligent, Divine Flame, omnipresent and infinite. In Simon’s system this Second World was ruled by a Being, or Potency, both male and female. . . (etc.)”

We used to pick the book up and “freestyle” over jazz vamps or hip hop instrumentals just reading sections at random (it’s all in the delivery).

20. matthewijenkins says:

“He remains the most prolific writer of mysticism and the occult and he continued lecturing until his likely-murder at 89. ”

If you mean most prolific writer of mysticism IN AMERICA, well then, perhaps. But if you simply mean most prolific writer of mysticism in general you have completely forgotten Rudolf Steiner.

21. markfrei says:

You might enjoy this book as well:

It’s about Esalen and a later, more 60′s, vision of new age. But once again you see the strange confluence of forces in California resulting in a weird kind of American spirituality.

22. Nixols says:

The Los Angeles Conservancy is organizing a tour of Hall’s Philosophical Research Society and other olde tyme religious and mystic sites on the City of the Seekers tour next month. There is a related lecture, exhibition and film series.