The Bizarre Comics of Boody Rogers

11 Responses to “The Bizarre Comics of Boody Rogers”

Why is this still not released? Amazon says it’s unavailable, and Fantagraphics’ site can’t find it at all.

2. airdrummer says:

sure looks like al capp’s lil abner…

3. buddy66 says:

I never heard of this guy. Is this a put-on?

4. TroofSeeker says:

“…the thing that stuck out in my mind was how much fun Rogers must have had while drawing them…”

I’ve done cartoons all my life. I started this blog to remind the author and youse that usually a whole lot of time and concentration goes into making a good cartoon. It ain’t some kind of magic that shoots out of a pen. It’s mostly determination, whispering “That’s not quite good enough.”

But memories swept back at how, sometimes, I am so fascinated with one that is going well that it’s thrilling. Thrilling! So yes, Mark, it can be so fun! It can become like magic shooting out of a pen, tickling you in places you can not reach, nor would you.

5. TroofSeeker says:

Hey! That second frame, where a guy is tearing the end off a log… is that a woman??

6. Sekino says:

I love how utterly non-sequitur the cover panels are!

I assume so, judging from the hairstyle (I suspect men weren’t typically represented wearing their hair in a bun and earrings back in the 60′s).

7. tjarrett says:

Totally not a put on. Boody Rogers got a ton of loving pages in “The Smithsonian Book of Comic-Book Comics,” an essential survey of pre-Comics Code art. It’s brilliant stuff. The late lamented RAW Magazine reprinted one of his stories a while back, about a world where kidnapped “girls” serve as “horses” for lazy centaurs (the source of the upper left panel in the cover illustration).

8. TroofSeeker says:

Wait- I know him! It’s… CarrotTop! But that can’t be- he’d have to be, like, older than Jack LaLain! Could it be?

9. vonnegutlives says:

Yet another great post broadening my comics horizon. Whenever I think I’m ahead of the game, comics-knowledge wise, I get hit with something like this. Wonderful! Thanks Mark!

10. skramble says: