Cakey bits (Thanks, Jeff!)
The "tiers" (the base and the middle) are foam board wrapped in fondant, and were planned to be that way from the get-go to support the weight of the cake. The cake itself contains 5 chopsticks: two to support the second tier (holding the upper body) and one each for the core of the three arms. The lower half of the body is white cake frosted with vanilla buttercream and wrapped in coffee fondant. The copper balls are all fondant, and the piping is just royal icing. The upper half of the body is sculpted from Rice Krispie Treat that was then covered with fondtant and piped with details. The little armor plates and the accessories on the arms are made of sugar candy (gumpaste). The whole thing weighed about 10 pounds. Dassit.
- Dalek cake - Boing Boing
- HOWTO make a Tardis cake - Boing Boing
- Dalek cookie kit - Boing Boing
- Fudge Daleks - Boing Boing
- Beslimed ancient Dalek head dredged from English pond - Boing Boing
- Kids' Dalek video - Boing Boing
- Steampunk Dalek! - Boing Boing
- Voice-changing Dalek helmet - Boing Boing
- Dalek cufflinks - Boing Boing
- Record-breaking Dalek gathering in Manchester - Boing Boing
I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.