10 Responses to “BB Video: Maker Faire Selects - CandyFab, DIY Screen Printing, Electric Music.”

1. SamSam says:

It’s all pretty cool, although the big “DIY Screen Printing” machine is a little ridiculous for something that’s already about as DIY as it gets — and I assume it costs many hundreds of dollars more than actual DIY screen printing.

2. Keeper of the Lantern says:

Ai-ya…that Lisa really looks a lot like my wife, particularly around the eyes.

Hubba hubba. Nerd genes, too.

3. jtegnell says:

What’s with the name Maker Faire?

Why not just go all the way and call it Ye Olde Mayker Faire?

4. Mark Frauenfelder says:

@8: because we are silly, http://www.quia.com/jg/1208525.html

5. Mark Frauenfelder says:

@1: $218 on Amazon.

6. steenta says:

That’s pretty cool, a little expensive for me though

7. SamSam says:

Thanks, that’s what I was guessing. I was trying to look it up, but couldn’t remember the company name.

Regular DIY printing costs about $5 for the setup (boards, silk) and maybe $20 for the photo-emulsion kit, as well as a light bulb and a t-shirt. And it seems rather more “Maker-y” than this machine. But all power to them — maybe someone will post a nice Instructible on how to make this machine in an actual DIY fashion.

We are definitely silly! Thanks for featuring Interactivation and the Lightning Temple team in your video, we had a great time out there with our alpha build — you caught us on our very first day fully assembled! We’re painting the stations now for events in the LA area in July, Culver City and Malibu where our electric avatars and full performance team will also be giving a sneak peak at the experiences we have brewing up for you.

The tesla coil was on later that day, there’s a few videos on YouTube like this one I got on my flip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2zxJ-sIoYQ&
    There are very few musical coils in existence and we have not seen others capable of this level of polyphonic sound — what you hear and see in this video is only the coil. We are seeing some distortion due to wind, but with the acrylic petals that will finish the piece we should be able to block most elemental effects. Redesigning the cooling system to function in high heat is a tougher task and we blew capacitors at Maker Faire….next time we’re traveling with a full tesla coil repair station to service all of our electrical friendz.

9. neurolux says:

In my experience it’s been more like $20 per screen plus $30 for emulsion kit. This might cost the same in the long run, and be much faster and easier (and less messy).

Yes, I was planning on getting a little DIY-ish and transferring some of my art to t-shirts this year, and was looking into making my own setup. The Yudu seems rather expensive, and set up for those who want to keep their hands clean, like a paint-by-numbers project or those paint-and-fire-your-own pottery stores.
    For a true “maker” this doesn’t seem so hot, but for a housewife with a few kids, it seems pretty cool and self-contained.