15 Responses to “Free young adult novel, The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making”

Done and done! Not purchased, ‘cuz apparently, I cannot, but I donated 5$.

2. Mandie Greene says:

It’s worth mentioning that …Fairyland is the real-world creation of a book that is important to the plot of Palimpsest, one of Valente’s other novels (and well worth a read, though it isn’t for young kiddos).

Have been haunted by the title since coming across it on Monday – breathtaking! Have read the first ‘page’ here – and will definitely read more – however I can! (But in an internet cafe right now…!) And will surely buy the book when
    it’s out!

4. Agies says:

Interesting. Since it’s being released in chapters I wish there was an RSS feed for the audio.

Shades of Carl Sandburg’s “Rootabaga Stories“, great style.

6. tp1024 says:

Ahh, I love titles that run over multiple lines and leave no doubt about the content.

Way better than, say “It”.

7. Robotech_Master says:

I imagine someone somewhere probably saved it and maybe it can be found somewhere on the Internet.

Annoying, though that the whole thing won’t be published for a whole year.

Thanks for posting about this, BB!

Just wanted to note…I didn’t go to Clarion. :)

–Cat Valente

9. Dewi Morgan says:

Not a free book anymore, as of today.

You only get the first bit, because she got a publisher interested.

So, just another author who rides the coattails of free publishing, but abandons them when money calls.

• bolophonic says:

Haters always got to be hating. How many people on here work for free?

• Dewi Morgan says:

Fair comment: I was miffed when I wrote that.

2/3 of the book remain up, it’s really *awesomely* written, and I feel like I’ve just got to read the first of a two-book series for free. I can’t wait until “book two” comes out next year.

The author did NOT want to take it down, but doesn’t have Cory’s clout when it comes to that stuff. Here’s hoping this award gives her that, so that she can dictate her own terms in future.

10. mwsmedia says:

Cory, I wish you’d included the fact that Valente is accepting donations for the chapters of this novel so that she can get out of a difficult financial situation. Your post only covers half the story, and completely misses the critical point.

Yes, folks can discover that in the comments… unless they read it in a feed reader.

Yes, folks will figure it out when they visit Valente’s site… but how many might feel mislead when they discover that Valente is asking for money?

The story here isn’t “hey, look, free book!” It’s “Hey, help out a writer in trouble.”

11. pupdog says:

It’s being released free, with the hope that folks will pay what they feel it’s worth. The author and her family seem to have run into financial straits, like many other folks, and this was her idea to try and support them quickly. She broached the idea on her blog last Thursday http://yuki-onna.livejournal.com/487082.html

Frankly, I think it seems like an interesting experiment in publishing paradigms to watch, and hope it works out. I’m going to kick in what I can for sure.

12. jjasper says:

I encourage everyone who can spare a few bucks to donate.

Also, there’s an auction going on to help the author here with the items donated, so if you like the story, and want to support the author *and* get something extra in return, please consider donating via the auction as well.

What a gorgeous novel! I think I will purchase it.