New Orleans jazz trumpet icon Kermit Ruffins on barbecuing

16 Responses to “New Orleans jazz trumpet icon Kermit Ruffins on barbecuing”

You might have more luck replicating his style if you look for Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning.

2. David Pescovitz says:

DSBNOLA @3, Total oversight due to an overly hurried post. Apologies. Fixed. It’s a fantastic picture. Thanks for pointing out my error.

3. dsbnola says:

It’s all good, David! And thanks for talking up one of Nola’s great musicians!

Kermit is going to be playing in NY at Lincoln Center’s Midsummer Night Swing next Tuesday night! Hope he’ll be struttin with some bbq there too! It’s a hard choice – to dance, or eat sausage.

5. acipolone says:

Thanks for pointing that out #4. Bothered me throughout the entire article. Hehe. Tony’s goes on everything.

And that’s very true about Rebirth — definitely needs to be experienced, rather than just heard.

6. Itsumishi says:

Whenever I hear about musicians and barbeques I instantly think of the Beastie Boys bonus disc with I f***ing shot that.

God damn that video made me hungry and laugh.

7. Bloo says:

I’ve been to a Sauce Boss show (he travels the world, but is local to where I live) – it’s great gumbo! He also has a charity to help feed the needy, Planet Gumbo which you might check out.

I’ll have to try Kermit’s barbecue when I next get to New Orleans, Thanks for the tip!

8. SteveMcQueensgotnothingonme says:

Back on the Ohio music scene, circa 1996, there was a band called Cash Money (whose name was later appropriated by some rap group) whose percussionist used a cast-iron skillet while it was frying bacon during the show. As I recall, the bacon turned out rather decent.

Tony Chachere’s is alright but it’s a little too salty. Ya’ll need to pick up some Slap Ya Mama seasoning. That’s the stuff right there.

10. demidan says:

I loved the living in the Bywater; Kermit at Vaughn’s and free BBQ. Best neighborhood ever!

11. drkptt says:

Yay Kermit! Truly the Ambassador of New Orleans.

The Sauce Boss (Bill Wharton)cooks up a batch of gumbo during his blues set, then passes it around at the end of the evening.

12. mister c says:

Two blocks from my house, y’all.

I may have to wander over and see if he’s cooking tonight, tho the crowd is a little touristy.

Kermit will also be a featured actor in Treme, HBOs upcoming series from The Wire creator David Simon, who promises to give New Orleans the same sort of treatment he gave Baltimore. I CANNOT WAIT for this show…

Love Kermit! Saw him at the Rock’n’Bowl Jazzfest 08. He’s the best. What a character!

15. dsbnola says:

We all love Kermit, agreed.

But where’s the photo credit? I’m only wondering because, well, it’s my photo:

The image has a Creative Commons license and I’m cool with y’all using it … but a credit would be nice.

Love the trumpet. Count him among the many Famous Trumpet Players who are going to inspire the young ones. Would love to get down to New Orleans and hear him.

Kind Regards,