Public Resource demands the source code to America's operating system

16 Responses to “Public Resource demands the source code to America's operating system”

1. Ernunnos says:

No, it’s because #2 just said it all.

2. Garryhopkins says:

Recession has hit us really hard and this is the time we have to do some rethinking on our spending structure.

Please don’t take this the wrong way, but:

4. CarlMalamud says:

My name is Carl Malamud and I endorse the petition in the previous comment.

5. Takuan says:

all hail the People’s Archivist!

6. LSK says:

I was up late last night wondering – how can I follow the laws if I don’t even know them?

Why don’t we get packets in 3rd grade telling us what the US laws and penalties for not following them are?

7. chris says:

The Sunlight Foundation kicks ass. Keep it up.

8. nutbastard says:

i’d love to see the IRS tax code published OS.

of course they’ll never do it, since tax protesters would than actually have the ability to defend themselves.

9. nutbastard says:

@#5

“I can’t believe that a country whose citizens have to pay to know what their rights and obligations are dares to call itself free.”

I’ve been claiming that we are indeed not free for years, but every time i do someone insists that we are free, calls me a libertarian and tells me to gitout! if i don’t like it.

Yup!
    You want us to be law-abiding citizens?
    First deliver on your moral obligations!

#6, it happens to me all the time, too. i’ve had the same thought about how we should be taught it at school, as well.

12. CANTFIGHTTHEDITE says:

It’s a difficult issue to resolve because in some cases the data contained in those standards cost some big dollahs to obtain. However, many codes have large portions that haven’t changed in any non-negligible way for the last 40 years (e.g. ASME B31.3 sections on mild steel pipe) and should be released to the public for free. That seems like a decent stop-gap solution until they can work out how to pay for future technical codes and standards without charging the public an arm and a leg.

13. jphilby says:

“The past practice of parceling out the public domain to private parties…”

Hah! There’s the whole history of the US in a nutshell!

14. IWood says:

The laws of our society need to be readily available for someone to read…because the people who actually vote on them don’t.

15. evw says:

Related to this: want to improve public access to PACER (Public Access to Court Electronic Records)? Sign the petition — Carl did….

16. Ian_McLoud says:

The reason there isn’t much discussion on this post is because it leaves the readers depressed beyond belief… that isn’t a criticism, far from it, just an observation…