Canadian copyright collecting agency subverting open debate on copyright

15 Responses to “Canadian copyright collecting agency subverting open debate on copyright”

1. EscapingTheTrunk says:

I’m steadily growing to hate the word “user.” If they think we’re vampires, they should just call us vampires. It’s sexier, anyway.

@anon #2,

Actually, AC is the Canadian equivalent of (american) CCC, created at the same time because of the evils of photocopiers.

3. chris says:

Oh captain copyright is there anything you and your magical flying snake won’t do for your corporate overlords?

4. GTD Aquitaine says:

Hmm. Apparently reproducing a work for free on the internet destroys the market for it. Seeing as how Cory has released a ton of his stuff for free through CC licenses, I really have to wonder how it’s going for him living in penury under a bridge. Because, otherwise, how could he be making a livelihood if people can get his stuff for free? Does he write on ripped-up cardboard boxes using the blood of angry rats he’s beaten to death?

5. Barb says:

I wouldn’t be starting out as an American writer today if I didn’t think I could earn a living at it, thanks to those “restrictive, US-style copyright rules,” the foundation of which was laid in our Constitution. Three cheers for those! That said, our libraries don’t charge people to take books out, so why should I expect to get royalties from them? That seems like robbery to me.

Odd, how views can differ on either side of the border.

At school for illustration we had a pro come in who told us all about Access Copyright:

“They like collect $$$ from everyone and put it in a big pot, then split it evenly among all their members. When you get your first thing published, join and you get the same $$$ as someone who wrote dozens of books LOL! FREE MONEY!”

#9- Well in the U.S., there is no “Public lending right,” for books, so CCC only licenses the COPYING of material.

8. The Unusual Suspect says:

Heh.

Just for fun, I read the Access Copyright website’s disclaimer page, where it warns you not to do anything it tells you to do on the front page.

“DISCLAIMER
    NEITHER THE Access Copyright WEBSITE NOR ANY OF THE CONTENT SHOULD BE INTERPRETED AS A RECOMMENDATION FOR A SPECIFIC COURSE OF ACTION OR AS PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE. IF YOU HAVE A SPECIFIC PROBLEM OR ISSUE ABOUT A COPYRIGHT MATTER YOU ARE STRONGLY ADVISED TO CONSULT AN APPROPRIATELY QUALIFIED PROFESSIONAL.”

This, at least seems to be sound advice.

9. Wulf says:

The cheques that Cory and other Canadian authors get each year as compensation for libraries loaning their books for free (and presumably destroying the market for them) come from the Public Lending Right. PLC has dutifully portioned out an ever-diminishing fund for a couple of decades now, and whether or not you agree with the basic moral argument of its purpose, they seem to be able to do it reasonably efficiently. Authors are paid in proportion to the number of copies of their books that are held in a sample of public libraries across the country, and while the payments are not as large as they used to be, many writers probably receive more from the PLC than they do in royalties from their publishers.

Access Copyright is the hazy NGO that taxes photocopiers and theoretically gives a similar payment for “legitimate” copying. I’ve never known any author who’s received a penny from it. Anyone?

#12- Okay, I (posts #2 and #10) stand corrected. AC IS the Canadian equivalent of the CCC. But that means that Corey is wrong that they are the ones administering PLR payments.

Okay.

Who’s up for making a Captain Pirate?

You made my day when I came across this post and recognized my snake cartoon looking over Captain Copyright’s shoulder! Jeff ‘The Wizard of Draws’ Bucchino

…US-style copyright rules,… like say, 17 USC 109? ‘Cause in the U.S., once a library has bought a book, they can lend it to whomever you want without additional payments.

14. PaulR says:

Just to show how much, er, ‘respect’ AC has for authors, they seem to feel that they need to supply a template for the authors to use.

It’s like they think that authors, since they hardly ever write, wouldn’t be able to come up with creative, original material for tor express their ideas.

While I’m at it, quoting from the link:
    “When someone reproduces my work for free, it destroys the market for it, and I suffer the consequences.”

So ONE PERSON has the power to destroy a whole market!

OK, I want a million, no a BILLION DOLLARS! in unmarked bills, or so help me I’ll shoot this market!

Just leave the money behind the hot water pipes, third washroom along, Victoria Station.

@#1, i think disney has the character under lock and key already…