17 Responses to “Walking Dead, Vol. 10: What We Become, relentless comic on zombie apocalypse and the human condition”

1. siliconsunset says:

@Takuan

I think people obsess over zombies because of the implied breakdown of society. No rules, different survival structure make this irresistible to some groups. Notice that most people who revel in these stories are also people who feel that they would “shine” or excel over others in this environment. Gun enthusiasts, survival buffs, social outcasts, those who feel they have little control over their situation/surroundings in the current system, etc.

On a comical note, I find the connection between vegan/animal activists (I live near the PETA headquarters) and people who love to see humans ripped to shreds and snacked upon to be pretty solid. Scene kids who eat poorly, smoke too much, consume large amounts of drugs and alcohol, and abhor gun ownership for some reason eagerly anticipate the zombie apocalypse.

2. mortis says:

This and The Boys are the only two comics I still read. Absolutely love it, and find it hard to wait for the next issue to arrive. This and the classic Romero movies were my primary inspiration for creating a zombie rpg that would de-emphasize the undead and focus on the survivors, as it should be.

Here’s to hoping the AMC series comes soon…

^m^

3. angelsvsanimals says:

Love this series. I’m heading out of country for two weeks. Should be great airplane brain food. mmmmmm…brains…..

Losing his baby and wife turned me off to it. Makes Little Big Man scene look like sesame street in comparison.

Enough crap in the world I don’t need make believe to be depressing as well.

5. reginald says:

fantasy

leave it the “scene kids”

Sorry, way too depressing. Read all the way to issue 48 and gave up. Although I realize that this is probably a very realistic portrayal of a zombie apocalypse, I read for enjoyment and this definitely did not fulfill on that.

7. Daemon says:

Somebody, for the love of all that’s unholy, reinvent the zombie. They’ve gotten stale, and stale zombies suck.

8. IWood says:

#9 posted by Daemon

I’m currently working on a book for the teen audience about zombies that sparkle.

/love me and despair

9. Takuan says:

hmmm… good point. What IS the appeal of zombies? The maggots? The “Braaiinnnns!” The dress sense? Why do we love our zombies so?

You probably can’t wait for Volume 11. Also AMC I believe has plans to make a Walking Dead TV series.

11. JoeKickass says:

I love The Walking Dead so much that I can’t wait for the trades to come out every few months. Even waiting month-to-month for the individual issues to arrive at my local comic book store is almost too much to bear.

I’m sure by now everyone knows that Mr. Kirkman has come to an agreement with AMC (the network that does Madmen) to develop a TV program based on these works. Frank Darabont (The Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption etc…) is set to write, produce and direct.

It’s like a dream come true for zombie fans. I love how Kirkman has handled the human side of a long term zombie reality. For years Zombie movies have only looked at the first few days or weeks of an infestation and then their two hours were up. The Walking Dead has gone so much deeper and intensified things to the max.

One warning if you’re just starting to read. The series is brutal, there are things that happen that will disturb you and make you wonder just how far Kirkman is willing to go. In Trade #8 (Made to Suffer) you will see that he seemingly has no limits. Its very violent and seems very very real.

A ripping good read, but not for the faint of heart, these are not kid’s comics.

Anyone else think zombies and vampires are just being so overdone nowadays?

I’m not making a judgment against this particular item (maybe it’s good, I don’t know), but just in general. I’m really getting sick of zombies.

Everyone, let’s not do something original, let’s just crib from Romero!

13. Hirsty says:

All right. I’m going in.

14. Rusty Idols says:

Amazing series. This volume was particularly harrowing for the way the traumatized kids in the group of survivors have gotten desensitized and numbed to violence. Really demonstrates that the writer read up on refugee kids and child soldiers.

BTW, I bet you meant the last line to say that you can’t wait for Volume 11.

15. phisrow says:

@Takuan: It is theorized that love of zombies is caused by republican administrations: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/features/20081108-9999-1n8vampire.html

16. Takuan says:

hardly a mystery; vampires are smart, zombies are stupid.

17. Takuan says:

though, on second thought, don’t good zombies NEED to be stale?