Lamp hacked out of Ikea fiber-optics and watering can

10 Responses to “Lamp hacked out of Ikea fiber-optics and watering can”

@ Stratojoe You really pissed off my roomates! making me LoL and all…

2. Sparrow says:

It’s more art than reading light, but it has quite a cool effect, since it really does look like the light is pouring out of the can. I expect the fibres would move if there was a breeze, which would make it look even better in person than in the pictures.

I’m even more amused by the Doglamp http://www.creativereview.co.uk/images/uploads/2008/06/doglamp.jpg linked on the site.

3. Thad E Ginataom says:

Very nice!

Even if I do hate Ikea, it looks like its possible to make good things by cutting up their products.

I hate to burst any bubbles or anything- BUT… in most communities that are ‘hack’ oriented a ‘hack’ is loosely defined as using an object for other than it’s intended purpose.

If using that loose definition, this is most certainly a hack. Might not be the most technical hack, but still a hack none the less.

5. stratojoe says:

I agree, Thad.
    Also, that’s how I feel about most parents.

it indeed provides “pour” lighting…

That totally reminds me of when this clamp broke on a lamp I have, and I had to use duct tape to keep it together.

Lamp hacking is awesome.

Another time, I couldn’t find a screwdriver, and used a knife to drive this screw into a wall. I totally hacked that screw.

When someone said I couldn’t touch my nose with my tongue, and for a moment I thought they were right — but then I used my right index finger and just bent my nose down a little, and I could totally touch my nose with my tongue. I hacked my nose — hell, I hacked my face, actually!

I think we should make a concerted effort to hack anyone’s face who use “hack” in lieu of “I’ve done something vaguely clever.”

8. treq says:

really, this is quite wonderful and ingenious. it inspires me to explore the lit-fiber-as-water concept in other forms as well.

9. nosehat says:

It looks less like a “lamp” (used to provide useful amounts of light) and more like a sculpture or objet d’art (used to look most cool).

Regardless, it looks most cool. :)

another more x than y comment here, minor point of usage these days I guess but I’d call this more assembled than hacked. Ok, a “hack” saw was used, but it seems like the hack would be, stuff a lamp into a watering can because the container resonates at a specific wavelength, and now it’s an rfid jammer or something. Utility rather than art, ?

Nothing wrong with assembly, tin of octopus* into a pan of ramen kind of thing, the novel combos that are possible now.

Very nice result, cut two holes in the base for a pc cooling fan maybe, variable resistor in series with a 5v wall wart?

*only the dull ones are caught