11 Responses to “I will teach you how to make sauerkraut this Sunday in Los Angeles at Kraut Fest 2009”

1. gewurztraminer says:

Mark posted a sauerkraut how to in January (for those of us nowhere near Los Angeles).

2. oscar says:

Don’t you want non-iodized salt in your ingredient list?

3. Boinkology says:

I second the motion for a you-tube vid of Granny Choe’s kimchi. We would be most appreciative.

Don’t you mean “Choucroute GarniE” ?

5. cha0tic says:

Bloody Hell! Ace Blotter Art style poster for a Sauerkraut making class. Any chance I can get hold of a poster in the UK?

6. Umpqua says:

For $1 you can get a PDF of the 1950′s “Make It With Salt” cookbooklet from Leslie Salt which is all about pickling and sauerkraut too.

7. thebelgianpanda says:

Hey Oscar, I’ve done some testing with different kinds of fermentation (bread, kimchi, ‘kraut, etc.) and I have not had a problem with iodized salt, even though I thought I might. I still use Mortons Kosher though, but that’s just because I think it tastes just a tad bit better (could be all in my head).

8. thebelgianpanda says:

RationalPragmatist, yes many kimchi recipes call for oysters when it starts out. While I’m pretty adventurous in the kitchen, I don’t think I’m that adventurous yet :)

Instead, I use a liberal amount (~1 teaspoon or to taste per head of cabbage) of fish sauce, which gives the rich umami flavor without the possibility of rotten oysters.

9. nanuq says:

Any Youtube videos for those of us who don’t live in California?

10. buddy66 says:

wouldn’t miss it.

11. RationalPragmatist says:

Homemade kim chi is the best! But I thought that oysters or shrimp were traditionally used to start the fermenting process.