Comic book covers redrawn

10 Responses to “Comic book covers redrawn”

I’m going to have to agree with SamSam. The “redone covers” only have minor variations of the original, with the exception of the Donald Duck one.

I may be missing something, but from what I see, it’s just traces.

This reminds of the 1987 book “Nous TinTin” an homage to illustrator Herge which features hypothetical covers of TinTin books that never were, by a wide variety of artists, including a great cover by Keith Harring. This French website has some scans:

steve akers

3. Baldhead says:

I’d agree that most of those are simply bad. often I have no idea what they’re trying to do with the cover. there’s no plan,. just “redo this cover in your style” with of course none of the pressures and concerns that governed why these covers were used in the first place (simple answer: Money)

4. Kip says:

Anyone who thinks these covers don’t vary needs to look through more thoroughly. For instance there have been several variations of Avengers #221:
    http://coveredblog.blogspot.com/2009/07/jon-adams-covers-avengers-221.html and then there’s this Green Lantern: http://coveredblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/mark-grambau-covers-green-lantern-122.html

5. busydoingnothing says:

Some are very dull and uncreative…others are very well done and inventive. My personal favorite:

Traces? If you mean the layout is the same, that would make sense, but all of those examples are completely re-drawn. Click on the ALPHA FLIGHT cover and it should be enough proof.

Wow, what a collection of awful and unprofessional art, purely in terms of graphic art for reproduction. Bad as some of the original Marvel covers are, in every case the original comics covers read more easily, pop better, and organize text better. Like ‘em or not, they were done by pros, with editors. Sure, the new ones are funnier, but the line work isn’t clean, colors too similar, a muddled mess.

8. StRevAlex says:

I must have been out of the loop for awhile, I don’t recognize most of the new comics artists .

9. SamSam says:

I just finished reading The amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, so what I found most interesting were all the old original comic covers, especially Captain America leaping into Hitler’s lair.

The re-makes, I don’t quite get. Some of them have put their own spin on things. Some of them are great jokes, like the ducks in the image you posted at the top, but most of them are just not-too-well-done copies. Hmmm, ok. I guess maybe if I knew the people doing the remakes I’d find it more interesting?

10. knoxblox says:

I think the blog is fantastic. I sure would like to see someone tackle the 1970′s DC comic “Plop”. That would be an interesting experiment in taking the already strange into even stranger depths.