14 Responses to “Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan: kick-ass young adult steampunk series starts with a bang, a hiss and a clank”

1. ya_bewb says:

Long time lurker, first time commenter. Please undo the redesign! It takes away the endearing old logo and replaces it with 1980′s video game graphics. It took me a while to figure out that the header was not an ad. Maybe I’m slow? I agree the new ginormous font has to go, too!

I enjoyed Scott Westerfeld’s Leviathan and the sequel, Behemoth. I also highly recommend Modern Marvels – Viktoriana by Wayne Reinagel.

I really enjoyed the book & felt that the titular leviathan stands out very well as a character in it’s own right, but the ending annoyed me. Not because it was badly written, the writing is superb, but because it leaves a big clunking cliffhanger for the next book.

It’s rather annoying to find out that the expected reveal at the end, that i hoped would open up speculation as to how the adventure continues, is actually a big, “who knows…. tune in next time to find out”

Now i’ve got to wait 2 years or so for the next book. Lame. If you’re writing a trilogy, please try to make at least the FIRST book relatively self contained.

*sigh*

Anyway I wholly reccommend the book, just be aware that if you find it as enjoyable as i did, the author’s going to leave you hanging for the next year or so.

4. Phoenicks says:

Reading it as we speak ^_^ So far so good. I’m hardly even aware I’m almost 30 and reading a YA book lol.

Also I want 90% of the stuff mentioned in the book lol

5. Indigo says:

Just to be a nerd, I feel I have to point out that the image of the map that accompanies this article is NOT the one created for the book, but is rather one of the actual period maps used as inspiration for the map in Leviathan, according to the blog at http://scottwesterfeld.com/blog/?p=1597 You can see the actual map drawn by Keith Thompson there, and it’s very nice!

As you were…

6. efergus3 says:

Double ick with moldy cottage cheese on top. Hard to navigate and I keep getting error messages when I try to email a Posting. Someone’s been drying their hair in the microwave again.

7. rossb says:

Fonts are important.

What have you done to poor boing boing? I’ve been reading this blog for a couple of years, and I was shocked when I visited it this morning.

You might as well use comic sans.

8. davidrice says:

Oh no! What happened to the layout – and MASTHEAD?!! Hate to be critical of a blog I love but this is almost excruciating to look at.

9. Corey Redekop says:

Might I also suggest Arthur Slade’s recent YA steampunk novel THe Hunchback Assignments. A lot of fun.

This book is very well writen. This book is so good it will have you reading it all day .. even during class lol I know thats what i did. If i was to give this book a rating from one to 10 (10 being the best) my rating would be an (8 1/2). This book has me dieing waiting for the next book to come out.

P.S. If anyone could possibly post the date when the next book will come out that would be great :) thank you.

11. earbox says:

Cumming, not Cummings.

Also, I’d like to join the chorus of disapproval for the redesign. Ick.

12. manu says:

Is Spain sleeping, in that map ?

13. cinemajay says:

@Manu, I believe the word you’re looking for is “siesta”.