31 Responses to “Duke University official concerned that sex toy study will make students want to "just sit around and masturbate"”

1. bcsizemo says:

Aren’t studies like this really one sided?

I mean, a certain percentage of the female population is not going to be comfortable, playing, talking, and in general discussing sexual topics with a bunch of strangers. Some people are open about it, some people are open to their significant others, and a few people are less open.

Studies like this always seem to say, hey did you know that like almost everyone women you have ever seen masturbates?! And yet somehow that percentage seems much lowered (at least among the women I know well enough to discuss topics like that with)….

Now men on the other hand…

2. Tdawwg says:

• Chuck says:

>Would he have them be amublatory masturbators? That would be quite a college sport!

I’m imagining track and field relay events with vibrators replacing the baton. (Maybe the point would be to keep running, and resist the temptation to stop in the middle of your leg of the race and … well, you know.)

• Phikus says:

Ambulatory Masturbators: Great band name! ;D

3. awgrbr says:

@bcsizemo men are generally fine with just the one hand…

4. Derek C. F. Pegritz says:

THEY ALREADY DO. Well…in my *head* they do. C’mon, Duke University, don’t ruin my fantasies–please?

5. Mark Frauenfelder says:

Tdawwg FTW

6. Rob Knop says:

That’s a real worry — because female students may then start to do just as poorly in college as male students. (And for the same reason, even.)

7. Chuck says:

“But won’t your use of … uh … these ‘personal pleasure devices’ just result in you sitting at home and cutting yourself off from the rest of humanity?”

“Oh, certainly not. I’m perfectly capable of carrying on a conversation with people while… OH! Oh god! Hold on a sec. … Alright, I’m back. What was I saying? Oh, yeah…”

8. sexualdelights says:

Maybe they should be doing studies on why there is a high rate of sexual abuse from Catholic Priests. A woman who masturbates harms nobody. A priests who assaults somebody effects his victims for the rest of their life.

9. sally599 says:

There was something on loveline w/ Dr. Drew that suggested that some women have trouble climaxing with men due to the use of vibrators, I think that the vibrators were considered overstimulatory so the women developed a higher threshold and did not respond to regular sensory cues. When they stopped using them and used manual or other milder stimulation instead then they were able to achieve climax during intercourse again. Of course this was random radio banter and may be akin the to the whole “psychologist says” thing.

10. benher says:

We all know that sex toys are a ‘gateway’ to…. sex!

11. blueelm says:

But… what’s wrong with masturbating? I mean. Really I’d rather do that then hit the singles club trying to trap a husband.

LMAO! The more I think about it the more funny it gets. It just… wow do some people ever have a hard time with women and sex!

Maybe if women were allowed the position of priesthood or higher in the Catholic church they’d have something to do with their free time.

13. Permanent4 says:

Ah, good ol’ Father Joe. I remember when he chased a friend of mine out of the choir for having the nerve to disagree with his homily about a woman who made “the right choice” by staying with an abusive husband. Lovely Easter Sunday THAT was. He’s one of the main reasons I pretty much gave up on Catholicism.

14. Gloria says:

“wow do some people ever have a hard time with women and sex!”

They suuuuuuuuuuuuure do.

WINK.

Just sitting around masturbating makes one want to just sit around and masturbate.

16. atdelphi says:

@Sally – Some women have trouble climaxing with men because they’re lesbians. ;) But yes, the problem isn’t vibrators (some women can only climax from vibration anyhow, and others use vibrators as a part of intercourse because it’s a minority who can climax from penetration alone) but rather, it’s overly-strong vibration settings that may, for the short-term, decrease sensitivity.

Hey I have been playing with toys for years and I don’t do it ALL the time… well I took a break to write this didn’t I?

Was this professor D. Lusion?

19. randalll says:

@Sally- I think that there is a similar problem with men who are inclined to rather, erm… manhandle themselves and then require greater stimulation to maintain an erection.

At least according to Dan Savage.

20. irrevocable says:

I think that this dude should view this as a study on behavior as opposed to focusing on the sex toy aspect.

Plus sex toys can be a good thing i.e. wouldn’t you rather your partner be dabbling with a toy than another human being?

21. Brainspore says:

I don’t get it. Where’s the problem?

22. zikman says:

and why shouldn’t they

23. Rick York says:

As a former RC, I can say; at least they won’t have to practice the rhythm method.

24. phisrow says:

To quote the good Stephen Fry:

“The only people who are obsessed with food are anorexics and the morbidly obese. And that, in erotic terms, is the Catholic church in a nutshell.”