Gift Idea For Delightfully Demented People: Shrunken Heads

10 Responses to “Gift Idea For Delightfully Demented People: Shrunken Heads”

Wow, our guest bathroom is decorated the same way– we call it “The Bathroom Of The Macabre.” And when we were in Borneo we looked all over for shrunken heads, because we thought that’s where they came from based on some Tony Millionaire comic that we read. Now I know the proper source– thanks!

2. TedJohnson says:

Rawhide bones for dogs treats are now officially passe.

3. nanuq says:

“You can always give away the rejects as hostess gifts at parties for the next few years”

That’s one way to scale back your social life.

4. Antinous / Moderator says:

I recently bought a house and decided to turn the guest bathroom into a “chamber of horrors”.

I achieve that effect by failing to clean and forgetting to flush.

5. Chupacabara says:

My Semi-Fried Brain Hippy Father bought a Shrunken Head just like these on a trip through South America a coupla years back, and no matter what anyone says to him or shows him to prove otherwise, he swears it is a real HUMAN head.

After all, the kindly little indigenous person who sold it to him assured him it was real.

40 years and counting and I still pray nightly that Mom diddled the milk man…

6. DeWynken says:

They actually can ship something made with animal products straight here without it sitting in customs for 6 months. Irritating..I want to order a handmade bow from Hungary, but they say it has to do just that..sit in quarantine for 6 months because of the fish glue and animal horn used in the manufacture.
    but anyways..yeah..shrunken heads ftw.

7. JoshP says:

I had a set of these maps when I was a kid, man, I loved these things… One text has the ‘Code of the Pirate’ the laws that stated what your crew owed you if you lost an arm, or eye or leg and the distribution of loot.
    Cool to look at, don’t know if they qualify as ‘Horror.’

8. DJBudSonic says:

Last year for Halloween I went as a Headhunter so I had to make some shrunken heads – I used various handmade papers and West System epoxy on styrofoam carving for most of them; this year my bowhunter friend has introduced me to his deer processor, so I am going to use more skin and other membranes to make them even more real… but a quick search through my magic library has shown me instructions for making a real one, it seems pretty messy… I followed the instructions in as much as it would help me make mine more realistic… what type of cord to use to sew to the eyes and and lips together,etc. It was a fun experience and I hope to do more this year.

Not sure why you would want a real one. My understanding is if its real, chances are the person was murdered for the money gained by selling the tsantsa. not due to tribal waring, its for the cash we are paying for them. i also understand many tribes dont do the ritual anymore anyway, the only ones still doing to it secretly, dont admit to doing it, and do it for the sales cash.

course the documentary i watched about it could be fulla crap but still. id have to do some serious investigation before i went out to buy a human head.