"It's hard to sit and read the dictionary, but we'll be looking to find other things of a graphic nature," district spokeswoman Betti Cadmus told the paper.'Oral sex' definition prompts dictionary ban in US schools (via JWZ)
While some parents have praised the move - "[it's] a prestigious dictionary that's used in the Riverside County spelling bee, but I also imagine there are words in there of concern," said Randy Freeman - others have raised concerns. "It is not such a bad thing for a kid to have the wherewithal to go and look up a word he may have even heard on the playground," father Jason Rogers told local press. "You have to draw the line somewhere. What are they going to do next, pull encyclopaedias because they list parts of the human anatomy like the penis and vagina?"
- Philip Pullman on the futility and evil of banning books - Boing Boing
- Psych professor wants to ban "nerd" and "geek" Boing Boing
- Celebrate Banned Books Week! - Boing Boing
- Library celebrates Banned Books Week with window-display featuring ...
- Judge orders woman to keep her SubGenius books under lock and key ...