14 Responses to “Mission Control radio: Space Shuttle Endeavour with ambient electronica soundtrack”

Just on the off-chance that any other Australian would-be listeners use Internode as their ISP, this channel (along with a couple of others) is offered as unmetered content. Direct playlist link is http://media.on.net/radio/129.m3u and the full list of unmetered radio channels is here http://www.internode.on.net/radio .

I used to love listening to mission control feeds when Julie Payette, the Canadian astronaut, was CapCom. Beautiful French-Canadian accented tech talk. Add some music to that, and I’d buy it.

2 pm Pacific time is not 6:00 GMT.

10 pm Pacific is 6:00 GMT.

2 pm Pacific is 22:00 GMT (10:00 pm GMT).

4. dalesd says:

This needs an IRC channel (or something like that) to go along with it.

5. MacLuddite says:

This is wonderful.

6. Marchhare says:

They had the Apollo 11 chatter set to ambient music last summer during the anniversary of the Moon landing. It was super-cool.

7. Cormac says:

Yay SomaFM, I listen to the Mission Control channel pretty frequently, the back and forth chatter over very chill ambient is fun background sound.

8. bassplayinben says:

I still follow the shuttle religiously and I’m disappointed to see someone say that the best time to watch the mission coverage is when the people aren’t talking to each other. Entertainment has surely become our primary concern.

• Anonymous says:

As I read it,

“The best time to tune in is around 2pm pacific time (06:00 GMT), when the astronauts are just getting up and starting their checklists for the day.”

AND

“Astronaut sleep periods are approximately from 6am pacific to 2pm pacific. There will be minimal mission audio at that time, but the rest of the time all sorts of stuff is going on.”

convey the meaning of

“The best time to tune in is when the astronauts are not sleeping”

• Cormac says:

Nobody said the best time was when nobody is talking to each other. The text above called out that “The best time to tune in is around 2pm pacific time (06:00 GMT), when the astronauts are just getting up and starting their checklists for the day”, i.e. when they are engaged in lots of back and forth chatter with the ground.

I’ve been a huge soma.fm fan for many years and the Mission Control channel was a really neat addition. I wear my t-shirt proudly.

10. dalesd says:

If you would like to see the ISS+Endeavour when it passes over your location, check out http://www.heavens-above.com for dates and times. You can see it with the naked eye. No telescope necessary; it’s often one of the brightest objects in the sky.