Road Trip Stop 3: Lowbrow Art Galleries, Los Angeles, California.

21 Responses to “Road Trip Stop 3: Lowbrow Art Galleries, Los Angeles, California.”

everyone has to checkout the real lowbrow art spot. known as the one and only GASOLINE located in El Segundo. CA . if you want the best lowbrow check them out

2. esuperchicken says:

Also check out the thinkspace gallery, it’s not to far from Wacko. It’s pretty small but they have lots of good stuff.

3. TeraGram says:

Thanks so much for this entry. This coming week is full of “half days” at my daughter’s school (she’s in 4th grade). We’ll be popping on down and topping up on low brow culture. Thanks again!

4. Adam Stanhope says:

Was the blowjob scene in Repo Man filmed at La Luz de Jesus?

5. boing_x says:

“One of the reasons I love Los Angeles so much…”

That’s where you lost me.

6. Sketch V says:

I agree with jamesdig. Here is a link to an interview from KCSN with the master himself, Robert Williams.
    Hear what the originator has to say on the current state of Lowbrow…

Enjoy!

Good for you for getting funding from Buick! Most writers should be so lucky. Your article is well-written. I’m more the high brow type but I can appreciate all the information here. Kudos!

8. TedJohnson says:

That’s one of my favorite forms of art too. I just never knew what it was called.

9. Francis says:

hello

10. jamesdig says:

I also love lowbrow art, but I hate Mark Ryden’s stuff, and most of the “Pop Surrealists.” I’m not passing judgment here, and I can’t quite say what I dislike about Ryden et al, but for me, at least, they don’t capture what’s enjoyable about true, lowbrow, “outsider” art.

Some more cool stuff along the same vein http://www.thenikkinoodle.com/

My favorite is Sumo Frogs

12. stexe says:

I live a five-minute walk from La Luz de Jesus / Wacko, and it’s always included in my LA tour for visitors.

“Weirdo Deluxe: The Wild World of Pop Surrealism & Lowbrow Art” is a great book on the subject, and nearly all of the artists profiled live in LA. Seems to be out of print, but there are used copies on Amazon.

I for one enjoy and celebrate the appreciation of illustrative and mad painting skills in Lowbrow (Mark Ryden inclusive- dang, that man knows oil paint!).

with regards to Grace Glueck, I found the last line from her Ryden review to be especially -um…-evocative? To quote directly:

“A dollop of Mr. Ryden’s drollery goes a very long way. Swallow quickly so you don’t taste it going down. GRACE GLUECK

You should try the Museum of Jurassic Technology, on Venice Blvd in Culver City. It is chocked full of the unusual, including a portrait gallery of the dogs of the Soviet space program.

• Anonymous says:

Second that. The Museum of Jurassic Technology caught me totally off-guard the first time I visited, like a walking state of deja vu. And every return continues to be a surreal labyrinth. It deserves a spot light.

15. Day Vexx says:

I don’t really dig the lowbrow stuff, usually. The hot rod stuff especially; but whatever, it’s just not me.

Still, I’ve got a pretty big soft spot for pointless stoner art. Look deep enough, and I bet you could make a decent argument relating a good high school stoner’s notebook and Cy Twombly– and I love his work!

16. Rich Keller says:

What I like about many of the Low Brow artists is the mastery they have over their techniques and materials. Todd Schorr, for example, can paint landscapes that look like something right out of the Hudson River School. But, being who he is, he sticks King Kong in the middle ground. It’s a great way of exhibiting his skill and thumbing his nose at the art historians’ established perception of “what art should or shouldn’t be.”

I’ve been a fan of Hi Fructose for a couple of years. Annie and Attaboy’s unpretentious and obvious love and enthusiasm for the genre is contagious.

I love lowbrow in most forms. I love abstract expressionism in most forms. Art is art.

Wow. That Slate “photoessay” refers to Walter Pater as a “gay Victorian aesthetician.”

“Aesthete,” fellas. Not the same thing.

lowbrow schmobrow, who cares. The Buick Lacross is my favorite form of car. Lacross is French for “the cross”, it’s not an suv, and it’s not a normal car, but a “cross” of the 2 different kinds, rolled into one.