Great Fables Crossover: Fables goes even more meta, stays just as rollicking

16 Responses to “Great Fables Crossover: Fables goes even more meta, stays just as rollicking”

1. MrsBug says:

This reminds me of Jasper Fforde’s Thursday Next novels, which use characters from literature. Very good books!

Have not read this at all, but the premise made me think of one of my favorite books of all time: Silverlock by John Myers Myers – a story based in the CommonWealth of Letters – a land populated by characters from the canon of classic lit and myth.

3. Gloria says:

I’ve stalled after the 2nd volume … but not thanks to Cory. Thank the very cute guy at the comic book store down the block from my apartment. He also recommended Rex Mundi, which I was meh about. Oh well. Things people do for a pretty smile, alas.

4. Carol says:

I’m strongly reminded of Sherri Tepper’s _A Plague of Angels_.

I didn’t like the crossover that much. It was really more Jack of Fables than Fables and Jack of Fables is quite a bit more campy than the main book. All and all I see it as Fables journeying into Jacks book than the other way because it didn’t really affect the Fables story a great deal, I mean all the Fables characters forgot it after it ended…

Luckily the main story line picks right back up after the crossover without missing a beat.

6. SamSam says:

I also just finished Crossover a couple weeks ago. I read all 13 books straight after my brother gave them to me.

Frankly, I was pretty much let down by the two books after the battle with the adversary was over. Nothing seemed as important, even though the next two bad guys were/are supposedly so much worse — they just seemed cartoony. I thought Crossover in particular wasn’t anywhere up to the old standards. Everything was just so much more… silly. My least favorite book of the bunch.

Of course, if I had actually been reading the original comics, and it had taken me six years to get through the battle against the adversary, I might have thought different about a few months into camp and silliness.

• weeklyrob says:

I’m only as far as finishing Animal Farm, and I like it, but I guess now I know that there’s a battle with the Adversary and he (or she) gets taken out of the picture. Awesome.

7. RevelryByNight says:

Fans, what say you? Must I read all of Fables to enjoy the Crossover series? The Literals story line sounds way interesting to me, and I’m not sure I’m ready to start from Book 1.

• Tynam says:

RevelryByNight:
      If the Literals are the bit that sounds interesting to you then you don’t need to read all, or really any, of the 12 books or so of Fables. The Literals plotline belongs almost entirely to Jack. You pretty much do need to read all 6 books of the ‘Jack of Fables’ spinoff, though, as the crossover is a big end-of-plotline resolution for his stuff.
      Without having read Fables there’ll be a few things, some references, and a couple of characters that you won’t get, but (in Jack’s storyline) these things are mostly minor references.

Having said that, I’d recommend almost the exact opposite, in that I find Fables by far the more enjoyable series. The clever meta-story is every bit as good as Cory says. But Jack (in Jack) is such an annoying $#!@, and so central, that his camp tone drags away my ability to care what happens. The crossover is great, but I’m glad it’s over; I didn’t want Jack to drag Fables down.

I’ve expounded on this before, at length, so I’ll stop there.

8. mortis says:

I’m being cautiously optimistic for the ABC TV series…against my better judgment. However, this is another of the very few comic series I still follow religiously.

^m^

I think Fables could have done without the Crossover. Jack is a trouble maker within the series and for the series.

If you want a great Fables read, pick up “Peter & Max,” a novel full of great characters and elegant storytelling.

10. dhalgren says:

No matter how I try to get away from comic books I keep getting dragged back in! I guess it’s time to start reading Fables after all.

hehe thanks Cory. You are the devil but I luv ya for it.

11. JBArtistic says:

I’m so glad you posted about this series…the review was intriguing and I ended up getting hooked on this series, thank you!!!

12. Stalos says:

Wait… War and Pieces as the last volume and then skipping ahead to Crossovers? Did you not read or were unaware of vol 12, The Dark Ages? http://www.amazon.com/Fables-Vol-12-Dark-Ages/dp/1401223168/

It sounds a bit like he lifted the story idea from “The People of Paper.” http://www.amazon.com/People-Paper-Salvador-Plascencia/dp/1932416218

A novel where the characters declare war on the author.

I haven’t read fables so I can’t say for sure.

14. Donal says:

It’s taken me time and money to discover that I find Cory’s reviews to be always off for me.
    His tastes run in the same areas, but having tried quite a few of his recommendations, including Jack Of Fables, I find most of his picks mediocre according to my tastes.