Museum acquires the @ symbol for its collection

19 Responses to “Museum acquires the @ symbol for its collection”

Oh man I have a whole printer full of those symbols. Does the contract deliver a keyboard/computer/printer (or typewriter), and show you how to generate a ton of your own copies?

I’ll sell you each print of one “@” sign for $5,000. Framing is extra.

2. bobhughes says:

i’m gonna break in down a rope thru the ceiling aka mission impossible and steal it. i’ve already got a growing list of international bidders with all sorts of nefarious plans, i’m sure

3. mtreighie says:

I’ve done some hobby blacksmithing, about 6 years ago now, my daughter was covering the American west in her social studies class. I made her an @ cattle brand to take for show and tell.

4. ZippySpincycle says:

A listener email to NPR about this story claims this is nothing new for New Englanders, who have always called the place the “Museum of Modern At”

I may not “know” art, but I know that things like this are pretentious and idiotic. The “art” world would be a laughing stock if it didn’t make the money it does.

~D. Walker

6. Adam Keck says:

The concept of “@” may be “free,” but doesn’t whatever typographical representation they’ve chosen belong to someone’s font family? I wonder if they used an open source font family for their physical representation of @.

7. mramberg says:

That’s not even art collecting – without an actual artist to attribute the work to, it’s simply a curator’s cultural commentary on the importance of a symbol in today’s society. Not much more than a glorified magazine article hanging on a museum wall.

Aside from that, are we sure this isn’t just some culture jammer yanking our chain?

I can’t wait till they acquire some other concepts, like love or hate.
    Would they display “love” in the material Helvetica.
    Perhaps they will acquire war and then ban it’s public use under IP law…

And the attributed artist will be Francesco Lapi?

10. an0nymous says:

They have also acquired an eye-roll for which I expect to be acknowledged as “a generous donor”.
    I appreciated their insights into the use of the symbol, but the self-aware cleverness, less so.

11. jhhl says:

I can see the potential here! I should acquire ™ and © and be done with it.

12. MajorD says:

Hey MOMA! I’ve just “acquired” a symbol, too! It’s the extended middle finger. Would you like me to give you *that* one?

13. anansi133 says:

If this generates some conversation about what it means to own something, then it might be worth it.

But I’m skeptical.

14. zoink says:

If I was a curator at the Whitney I would immediately dub MOMA’s curatorial action as itself art and state that I had acquired it. Heck, then the New Museum, DIA, Walker, SFMOMA, etc. could all do the same in a giant round-robin of recursive curatorial acquisition. Once MOMA got in on the game it would become an infinite loop.

15. Darren Garrison says:

I call dibs on the interrobang!

This is the first time they’ve truly deserved their moniker of The Museum of Modern Art.

17. brookswift says:

I’m claiming the octothorpe. # will be displayed in my personal phone collection, proudly shining from it’s home spot in the bottom row’s rightmost key. those wishing to view this priceless piece of art history can, by special appointment and a $1 fee, view this magnificent piece of art.