The Alot, an imaginary mammal

14 Responses to “The Alot, an imaginary mammal”

1. Antinous / Moderator says:

Idon’t getthe problem.

2. littlerunninggag says:

How is this such a tiny post? I almost missed it!

Language is a tool for the communication of ideas.

Language is effective if it succeeds in communicating the desired ideas.

Grammar is a set of guidelines which should be used to ease communication.

Grammar is not a set of rules which should be used to limit effective use of language.

As language is an ever-evolving construct, grammar and definition are determined by popular usage.

Dats all I gots.

4. tallpat says:

That’s alot less intimidating than shark-bears.

5. Matt Deckard says:

For a prescriptivist rant, this was somewhat amusing. I think it would be even more amusing to compare this to early 1900s grammarians bemoaning the loss of the hyphen in “to-day” and “to-morrow”, or go back even further and find some 13th century treatise on how the entire English speaking world is in peril since writers have begun to conjoin “a while”, “more over”, “never the less”, “life time”, and so on.

There are more examples. In fact, there are
    alot of them. Language changes. It always has and it always will. Educate yourself.

I personally am appalled by the pseudo-word “functionality”.

PHB: Does it have the required functionality?

Me: I don’t know, but it has the functions we need.

I gave up correcting “half duplex” a decade or so ago. The kids don’t even know what simplex means.

7. ClintonD says:

Heh, I use alot alot. It just seems alot less awkward than a lot to me. Oh look, I used alot again. Alot.

8. surreality says:

Adorable and helpful, thanks. I’m not the kind of person who will jump down your throat for “octopi”, but “alot” makes me shudder.

9. BassTooth says:

grammar Nazi humor.
    alot of it is kinda retarded.

Is he any relation to the alright?

11. dculberson says:

Suspiciously, the Alot looks a lot like a pug with horns. A more evil and pernicious creature can not be imagined.