Terror-veillance posters at LA airport use CNN's "iReport" neologism

29 Responses to “Terror-veillance posters at LA airport use CNN's "iReport" neologism”

1. MooseDesign says:

I’m sorry I can’t grapple with the larger implications of the poster because the graphic design is just so very horrible. It apparently puts patriotism and the “iWatch” brand ahead of the intent. That’s just a failure of messaging all around, assuming the goal was any kind of actual efficacy and not just some odd pandering.

• Tynam says:

…assuming the goal was any kind of actual efficacy and not just some odd pandering.

Why on earth would you assume that?

The design alone makes my eyes want to fall out of my head (defeating the purpose of asking me to watch things and perhaps say things.) May I suggest partnering with a local design school and begging for a little help?

3. jimkirk says:

A while ago I was walking by a school and saw what appeared to be a discarded paper cup from a well known purveyor of coffee based products. But who knows what nefarious diabolical device might be concealed within? It was next to a school, think of the children! Better call The Authorities.

A brown paper bag. Litter? Or is it filled with ANTHRAX? I wouldn’t touch it, call it in.

A soda bottle on the side of the road, or an Improvised Explosive Device? I’m no expert, better be safe than sorry. 1-877-A-THREAT.

4. joshhaglund says:

As a user of LA’s public transportation, I’d say it qualifies as decent. Ain’t no magic pod conveying you from start to destination but it gets me where I need to go. Even with upcoming increases, fares are cheaper than other major US cities.

the recent addition of bus routes to google maps makes it easier too.

5. theawesomerobot says:

My god, the design is terrible. With the massive backlog of propaganda out there in the world how could you possibly produce something this terrible looking.

6. AirPillo says:

As if we had decent public transport in Los Angeles!

The light rail system isn’t that bad.

• GlenBlank says:

Preemptive bitching about LA’s transit system is SOP for hipsters who want to maintain their ‘green cred’ by insisting that everyone should take transit instead of driving, but need an excuse for the fact that they themselves don’t do so.

Like the Onion says, 98 Percent Of U.S. Commuters Favor Public Transportation For Others

Entirely aside from that, I’m not sure how a poster with a picture of a subway somehow implies that “we have decent mass transport.”

We do have a subway, and some people do use it, and the authorities do get twitchy about unattended bags left lying about in its stations.

But, hey, musn’t pass up an opportunity to bitch about how inadequate LA’s transit system is.

7. Otter says:

To fix this poster, just add text:

brown person
    everybody panic

8. Pantograph says:

Isn’t it about time for a new vowel? In the ’90s everything was e-something, then we had a decade of iThings… I predict that the time has come for “y”

yBook, yPhone, yWatch? yBother?

9. signsofrain says:

See something, say something = a hop step and a jump away from “report crimethink”

After losing the iPhone 4 prototype, Apple started plastering these around work and then town. They’re hoping the next time an iGadget is lost, you’ll call them first.

iwish that ipeople stopped ikilling the iEnglish ilanguage.

12. ill lich says:

“Walking in L.A.? Only a nobody walks in L.A.”

13. Xeni Jardin says:

@Davidget, Oh, as if that’s anywhere near similar. We’re not going to send you to fucking Guantanamo, we’re just keeping an eye out for spam or ad hominem attacks and the like. Obvious troll is obvious.

14. dross1260 says:

iSEEWHATYADIDTHERE

15. Church says:

iSue

–sent from my iPhone

16. Teller says:

What we need to nurture is a more Compliant Society.

kWATCH, kREPORT, kNOPHOTOS, kARRESTME, kHOPE.