Criterion Collection reissues R. Crumb documentary with special features

15 Responses to “Criterion Collection reissues R. Crumb documentary with special features”

1. Fletcherism says:

I love R. Crumb and i LOVED this movie but it was the worst possible choice for a first-date movie ever.

2. Ugly Canuck says:

Here’s a review of the Criterion edition of Crumb from DVD Savant:

3. Ugly Canuck says:

Don’t forget Criterion’s release of the other Zwigoff doc, “Louie Bluie”:

Only unlike their “Crumb” release, this one is dvd-only – no blu-ray option.

4. st vincent says:

Crumb ranks as one of my favorite films in any genre. I rarely spring for my own DVD copy of films, but this edition certainly sounds like it’d be worth having.

I’d not read anything about Crumb before seeing it the first time and was anticipating more of a examination of his work and its cultural impact. What the movie was ultimately about was ten times more interesting that that. By the time it was through, I’d gone from thinking R. was likely the odd duck of his family to thinking that he was far and away the most well-adjusted and whole!

Thanks for the tip on the new release!

5. johnofjack says:

That is a great documentary. I’m glad to see it get the Criterion treatment.

6. frankieboy says:

I remember seeing this years ago, and thinking R. Crumb is a survivor. God only knows what went on in that madhouse he grew up in. His two unfortunate brothers didn’t make it. And if I remember right, he has a sister, (or two?) that were not interviewed. The film provides a disturbing look into the early harsh conditions that shaped a brilliant artist. I can see his art as something that helped him cope with the rough hand he was dealt.
    Where Mr. Rosenbaum sees a “family of reclusive eccentrics, some of the most remarkable people you’ll ever see…” I see dysfunction and pain.

• Brainspore says:

I remember watching it and thinking that Crumb’s sisters probably had it even worse than Robert and his brothers considering what life must have been like to be around that many adolescent males with such, ah, unconventional sexual predilections.

Great documentary, brilliant artist. I recently read Crumb’s illustrated version of the Book of Genesis, it helped make a very archaic and often self-contradictory text much easier to parse.

7. oyvinja says:

One messed up family indeed.
    But I did love brother Maxon’s paintings, I think he’s possibly just as talented as Robert.

8. Miss Pam From T-Town says:

This is, indeed, the best documentary I’ve ever seen. Extraordinary directing. The best.

9. ROSSINDETROIT says:

It’s an outstanding film and I can’t wait to see the extras. True American eccentrics are so rate these days. We should celebrate them.

10. k386 says:

I recently came across a BBC documentary on Crumb called ‘Confessions of Robert Crumb’ which gives a vastly different portrait of him. He was way more engaged and .. I don’t know, happy than he was portrayed in Crumb.

Crumb is still amazing, and I’ll lend my words to agree that it’s my favorite documentary.

11. lewis stoole says:

this movie gave me newfound respect and awe for the wonderful world of string!

thanks robert crumb!

thanks terry zwigoff!

thanks criterion!

i eagerly await to see what new commentary is made about this and other topics of interest.

12. Bionicrat2 says:

The autobiographical comic (aka graphic memoir) by Crumb’s wife, Aline Kominsky-Crumb, is a nice compliment to this film. Events such as the move to France are covered in greater detail and you get to learn more about what happened over their next 10 years of living there.

It’s also just a fantastic work about a very interesting artist and personality (meaning Crumb’s wife Aline).

Much more daring and interesting would be an inclusion of commentary from Crumb himself. From what I recall of articles I’ve read over the past ten years, Crumb was somewhat critical of his portrayal–in fact, his descriptions made Zwigoff appear to be the somewhat unstable and desperate one, and that Crumb did the documentary in part out of feeling sorry for Zwigoff.

Of course, this may be post-documentaried (documented? documenteed?) regret from Crumb, but it would be fascinating if his viewpoint and reflections were included in the re-released version (assuming he’d even want to cooperate).