Scott Westerfeld's Behemoth: return to the steampunk WWI of Leviathan

10 Responses to “Scott Westerfeld's Behemoth: return to the steampunk WWI of Leviathan

1. tomservojr says:

I really enjoyed Leviathan, although plot-wise, it felt more like the first two-thirds of a really good book. I’m curious to see how the follow-up holds together. Also, the cover is hideous.

Would love to hear this as a full-on audio drama

3. Lobster says:

The setting sounds fascinating and I can’t say for sure because I haven’t read it, but I don’t think it would really grip me like it would were it not YA. I don’t think that YA books are written for idiots, but I do think they’re written for kids with young protagonists doing amazing things. I’m not terribly fond of kids and have witnessed – repeatedly and to excess – what happens when they are called upon to do useful things, never mind amazing things.

Maybe it says something about me that I’m willing to suspend my disbelief enough for a living whale-airship, but not enough for a kid to be a hero.

• zio_donnie says:

I have witnessed – repeatedly and to excess – what happens when full grown adults are called upon to do useful things, never mind amazing things. At least kids have an excuse for f***kn things up. Your point is?

i enjoyed the first book, was a YA book but enjoyable nontheless (i plan on picking this one up, terrible cover or no)

Mr Mediocre – so bats that spit iron spikes are bad, but giant gas whales that float like blimps are ok? i think your picking on that one part of the story too much, if you have to believe in everything you read, your reading list is probaly pretty small and boring

Im 10, turning 11. i wanna read this book so bad, but i dont know where to get it. i get insomnia, thinking about this book. im one of those people who turn into the books character. i hear that this book is excellent and dramatizing, but i havent read it myself.

6. mr_mediocre says:

Ah, the flechette bats. This is where my suspension of disbelief came to a full stop. Westerfeld doesn’t merely have them cause problems for aircraft (which would be almost excusable, since flying a WWI-era biplane through a cloud of razors would certainly do a lot of damage), no, he has them reduce a sailing ship to ruins.

Leviathan was fun, but alas, the bats were only the worst example of Things You Can’t Think About Too Much Or It Falls Apart.

7. tregeagle says:

My 8yr old loved the first book. He was quite happy to believe in flying fart filled whales and razor blade spitting bats. It’s a ridiculous and fun story, for kids. Which would explain why the protagonists are kids, funnily enough most happy self confident kids have no problems believing they can be the hero.

I will definitely order this for him.