Charles Burns' new graphic novel: X'ed Out -- exclusive preview

30 Responses to “Charles Burns' new graphic novel: X'ed Out -- exclusive preview”

1. Hellosluggo says:

I don’t really follow comics, graphic novels, etc… But I want this. It gives me the same twisted-gut feeling I got while reading a certain issue of Eerie magazine when I was a kid… Someone mentioned the fine balance of beauty and grotesque, hitting the nail squarely on the head.

Kosmoid: I read an interview in which CB says that the other Doug is indeed influenced by Tintin.
    I think I also read that this is the first of 3 parts, I’m guessing they will all be of about the same length as this one. I can’t imagine how all of the questions raised in this first part can be answered if this is the case – it definitely has me gripped!

3. dolo54 says:

Charles Burns and Daniel Clowes – my 2 favorite comic artists. I love that this is like a bizarro world Tin Tin. Check out the cover inspiration: http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/Tintin_cover_-_The_Shooting_Star.JPG

4. soongtype says:

Love the art style and weirdness. Might have to get this.

Yup, I also thought it looked a little like Tintin.

Especially this album cover:

6. corestrength says:

Grotesque is relatively easy because so much of it is human-made. Beauty, on the other hand, is much more challenging. That’s why I seek it out, and let this kind of grotesquerie fall by the wayside.

Dang. I’m having nightmares and I’m not even asleep yet.

8. Doctor 7am says:

Doesn`t Anyone See the very obvious William Burroughs influence

here?http://www.schizodoxe.com/docs/2008/09/burns1.jpg

Not only to the fact that this is going to be a Trilogy of Graphic

Novels… very similar to Burroughs’ The Soft Machine,Nova Express

and The Ticket that Exploded ,but also

Burns’ X`ed Out seems to have no real Beginning or an End, again not

unlike Burroughs’Famous Cut-Up Technique…Plus also the

Fact that the Doug`s Hero in Burns’Graphic Novel is…You

Guessed it…William Burroughs !!! A great interview with the

Master Himself ….on Belgian T.V. Where He Talks

on Black Hole and X`ed Out…http://www.cobra.be/permalink/1.905032

9. GatoRanch says:

DRRROOOOOOOOOL.

Been to long since a good twisted Charles Burns graphic novel!

10. Kimmo says:

IMO this artist is steeped in Herge.

Just look at the last pic of the noseless guy… despite a slightly different style using more detail, the aesthetic similarity is uncanny… proportions identical.

This is indeed Tintin on the brown acid.

11. Mark Frauenfelder says:

So far three people have brought up the Tintin Shooting Star cover, even though I mentioned it and linked to the cover in the very first sentence of my review. Interesting. I’m guessing they didn’t bother reading what I wrote and went straight for the art. I guess I can’t blame them.

• Cefeida says:

I did check the link, and read what you wrote, Mark. That’s why I was confused about your replies. They sounded straightforward, but contradicted what you wrote earlier.

(like I said, my sarcasm meter is off)

I guess one has to actually see the book not to be confused, cause it does look really crazy. From what little we see the most obvious (and clearest) thing is it resembles Tintin so I’m not surprised people still want to talk about that even though you already mentioned it.

12. Trent Hawkins says:

Looks a lot like some of Pat McEown’s work.

I saw Charles speak here in Chicago about the book. He said the Tintin inspiration is from looking at those books when he was a child before he could even read (hence the unreadable ballons from the noseless guy). He wanted to recreate some of the experiences of trying to glean information from what your seeing whether you could read the words or not. The art-school Nitnit (Tintin backwards) is semi-biographical.
    He also mentioned he was halfway through drawing the second of the three books.

14. davechua says:

Hmm 56 pages. Might wait until the whole series is complete.

@ Davechua

If you want to read the thing as a whole I’d say wait. But that would be the only reason, Burns said outright that all three volumes are meant to stand alone and won’t be put into one collection.

—–

“This is the first volume of a series of three. From your perspective, are you thinking of them as three individual volumes?

Without giving things away, there is a reason for that. There will be three specific time periods that these books take place in. There’s a reason for that. There is certainly the traditional cliffhanger ending, which I couldn’t resist, but yeah, there’s a reason for it being split into three books.”

—- from his interview at CBR

Great article and even better book, read them both!!

came today and just finished reading. amazing! and i can’t wait for the next installment “The Hive”

17. Resuna says:

Definitely made me think of Tintin too, particularly with the cover being an obvious homage to The Shooting Star.

• Mark Frauenfelder says:

I think it’s just an unintentional coincidence, Resuna.

• Anonymous says:

Duh! its an obvious reference to the shooting star cover.

• Mark Frauenfelder says:

Really? I had no idea that it was a reference to the shooting star cover, Anon. I just randomly added the link to the shooting star cover in the very first sentence of my review. What are the odds?!?

• Cefeida says:

Coincidence? But…you just said…

My sarcasm meter is off, I think, but if that’s a coincidence that suggests the author doesn’t know much about comic books, which I find doubtful…I think it’s a hommage. I like it,

But, funny how the cover art looks so much different than the inside art! Or is that just on the panels you showed?

• tin robot says:

The panels shown are from the Nitnit (Tintin-Doug) sections, which are deliberately drawn Herge style. The Doug sections are more like the cover.

And I’m sure Mark’s joking, there’s no way it’s coincidence (the whole book it littered with obvious Tintin references.)

• Kosmoid says:

I thought Nitnit was Doug dressed up as Tintin, and these panels show Tintin-Doug.

I’m guessing Tintin-Doug doesn’t have a name, but Tintin-Doug is what Doug calls him.

I don’t know what Tintin-Doug thinks Doug’s name is when he’s dreaming of him. I don’t assign names to people in my dreams.

And who’s Johnny 23?

Mark, I’m sorry this is probably a very interesting book with a good premise, and I was too quick to judge without fully comprehending your post. It happens.

18. Bionicrat2 says:

Weird to remember he did the art for that odd Coke brand in the 90s:

This was one weird graphic novel. And yes, the artist plays homage to Tintin. You can tell right from the cover with the red and white mushrooms. I didn’t really get the story. Maybe if there are more to come it will make more sense?

Definitely Herge homage.

21. bobkat says:

Charles Burns = fuggin’ amazing.

22. Kosmoid says:

Looks like mutant Tintin.