Vintage river baptism photo exhibition

14 Responses to “Vintage river baptism photo exhibition”

1. gwailo_joe says:

I have to find that Grammy CD. . .though the title made me think of Billy Bass singing ‘take me to the river, drop me in the water’ and Tony Soprano smashing him. . .

Then of course the beautiful song by Alison Krauss and the baptism scene from O Brother, Where Art Thou. . .(one of my top 10 movies btw)

Also reminding me of the recent Boardwalk Empire when that nutcase FBI agent ‘baptised’ his co-worker among the Black folks. . .

Obviously I need to increase my education on this matter. Thanks!

• knoxblox says:

This makes me think of the Toadies song Backslider…

I was baptized in the river by my father, our congregation’s preacher.

Of course it didn’t take, so I became a Backslider.

True story.

2. RandyB5 says:

Another relevant clip (Boardwalk Empire)

3. mercator says:

DELMAR
    Well that’s it boys, I been redeemed! The preacher warshed away all my sins and transgressions. It’s the straight-and-narrow from here on out and heaven everlasting’s my reward!

EVERETT
    Delmar what the hell are you talking about? – We got bigger fish to fry-

DELMAR
    Preacher said my sins are warshed away, including that Piggly Wiggly I knocked over in Yazoo!

EVERETT
    I thought you said you were innocent a those charges.

DELMAR
    Well I was lyin’ – and I’m proud to say that that sin’s been warshed away too! Neither God nor man’s got nothin’ on me now! Come on in, boys, the water’s fine!

reminds me of a song Gram and Emmylous used to sing with the Fallen Angels.

5. Ito Kagehisa says:

I wonder if it’s as direct a connection (mikveh —> baptism) as it seems.

The custom of Christian baptism is part of the tradition of emulating Jesus Christ, who you might recall was baptized in the river Jordan by the Prophet John (John the Baptist, whose head was later delivered on a platter to Salome by Herod Antipas, not John of the Revelation or the apostle John).

I took a glance at the wikipedia articles on John the Baptist and the Baptism of Christ and they fit my knowledge of Christianity, so I will commend you there rather than discoursing redundantly here. I think you are familiar with the Golden Bough so you’ll recognized some of the themes!

I would be very interested to learn more about the practice of mikveh.

6. senorglory says:

wet t-shirt contest?

7. rebdav says:

I have always wondered if baptism was derived from the mikveh concept of immersing a person in a sufficiently large body of water to invalidate tumah(incorrectly translated as uncleaness) or if it is pagan in origin.

• gwailo_joe says:

Well, I’m no Biblical scholar. . .but ol’ John the Baptist was doing his thing back in the day; figure it had to be Hebraic, yes? Then Jesus and friends took that ball and ran with it. . .

But them pagans, those smarties did everything first. . .

8. David Pescovitz says:

When I saw the river baptism photos, I thought the same thing! I found some linkages discussed online but I wonder if it’s as direct a connection (mikveh —> baptism) as it seems.

• rebdav says:

With the amount of input from Emperor Constantine and Rome in general prior to the canonization of the Christian scriptures I wonder. I assume it is an extension of the Jewish mikveh immersion which among other more regular uses is taken at the end of the process should a gentile decide to fully convert and become a regular Jew rather than following the much simpler moral laws for gentiles.
      Is there a mikveh concept elsewhere? It comes up in yeshiva talmud study of tumah and tahara mostly related to Cohens and temple service, new eating ware not made by Jews, conversion, and womens reproductive events. In temple times it was a nearly daily thing for people and objects who encountered tumah although today it is still regular among hasidim.

John the Baptist reportedly based baptism on mikveh, a Jewish ritual. Jesus himself was baptized. As such, the tradition predates Rome’s expansion into much of Europe, and as such, predates Catholocism’s polution with pagan rituals.