Sweet Tooth 2: gripping post-apocalyptic comic continues, minus the whimsy

7 Responses to “Sweet Tooth 2: gripping post-apocalyptic comic continues, minus the whimsy”

Yeah, Sweet Tooth is almost certainly one of the best 2 or 3 comic books going right now. Jeff Lemire is the goods.

2. TakeThatSubspace! says:

I’m sure this is great in its own right, but his antlers and Cory’s description made me wish I had my comics at hand so I could get me some Black Hole goodness… http://www.amazon.com/Black-Hole-Charles-Burns/dp/037542380X .

++++++++++++++

Anyone else gonna explode waiting for the Charles Burns, Jeff Lemire 12 issue collaboration “Lazar, Akiva & Yagoubzadeh and Academic Advantage Are A Scam”?

Man I hope it’s as good as their classic “Lazar, Akiva & Yagoubzadeh and Academic Advantage Haven’t Denied Responsibility For The Hindenburg”

3. gewurztraminer says:

I am forever indebted to the folks manning the DC/Vertigo booth at C2E2 in Chicago last year. One of them handed me Sweet Tooth #1 while I was gawking at Fable’s Bill Willingham. I read it on the train ride home to Indiana, then put it on my comic book subscription list as soon as I got near a computer.

Great stuff Lemire has going on with this one.

4. Chang says:

I got #1 on Cory’ rec and jsut picked up then promptly inhaled #2. Amazing stuff.

Sweet Tooth belongs in the Twisted Metal series only!

I Just pick this up last night as well as Vol. 1
    I read them in one sitting.
    Is that good.

It’s amazing storytelling, great character development ( especially Gus, the protagonist), and the art fits the tone of the story perfectly. I would disagree with Cory on the whimsical aspect of Vol. One.
    If you consider the plot as a whole, the first book has a perfect tone setup for the devastating feeling of anxiety and despair that engulfs the characters in the fallowing tome.

Also I think Jeff Lemire can write circles around Charles Burns, although I’ll concede that Burns’ Art is of a more interesting tone. The infusion of surrealism into his work is sublime. While Lemire’s Work resonates more with Neorealism.

7. gmarsden says:

It’s also worth mentioning that Lemire’s “Essex County” is one of the CBC’s top 5 “Essential Canadian *Novels* of the Past Decade” (emphasis mine). See Canada Reads.