Hidden art in Woody Woodpecker

16 Responses to “Hidden art in Woody Woodpecker”

1. Zoll says:

The woody cartoon is meh… I’m mesmerized by the Universal logo at the beginning, how did they make it?? Neeed…. to… stop repeating it… but can’t…

2. blatantdisregard says:

I’ve always been fascinated with the in-between art lost in the action of cartoons. During explosions or when a character is mashed or stretched, taken as a single piece of work some of the cels are really incredible.

3. sievetronix says:

I don’t know much about the Avant-Garde but I know this, That Woodpecker is a dick.

4. bolivar13 says:

If you’re looking for the painting(s?) check out 4:41.

5. Sweet Zombie Jesus says:

I object to the implication in the article that cartoons are not genuine art.

6. DimensionalPunk says:

Wow, I’m ashamed to have been a fan of Woody when I was little. I’m glad he didn’t rub off on me at such a young age. Woody’s negative influence must have been overshadowed by characters like Optimus Prime.

• Pantograph says:

For me realizing that Woody was a dick was a seminal moment in growing up. Discovering that the Tom and Jerry cartoons by Chuck Jones weren’t merely weird but far better than the rest was another.

7. nehpetsE says:

Woody woodpecker… Christ what an asshole! i alway hated him.

8. nehpetsE says:

btw, non-art based continuity error @5:38 The construction guy’s stubble disappears for one whole scene. Did they think we wouldn’t notice?

• nixiebunny says:

The guy in the continuity error at 5:38 looks like he was drawn by a different artist. He in the background in that scene, instead of being a character as he is in the rest of the film.

There are layers in animation, and when you shift a guy from one layer to another, it’s like sending him through a portal to another dimension.

I have to agree with nehpetsE… even as a child Woody W. struck me a s a complete douchebag, not in an anarchic, cool way a la Bugs Bunny, but in a dickish way. He was inconsiderate, self-absorbed, violent… and no subsequent notionsI have formed of the Id really excuses him, in my eyes.

10. gwailo_joe says:

Smoothing concrete properly is hard. It’s an art to do it well.

Woody Woodpecker. . .he ruins everything he touches.

And his pecks to the head look like they would really hurt.

crazy unmedicated bird. . .

11. Nawel says:

I always loved Woody. I didn’t remember this particular cartoon, but thanks for posting the story.