7 Responses to “Valente's Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland...: sweet fairytale, shot through with salty tears -- magic!”

1. Ingmar says:

“… was originally available here in its entirety, the final act has been taken down in anticipation of the book being published …”

But of course. The Moor has done his work, the Moor can leave …

2. Dewi Morgan says:

Aha! Thank you for this. I was just wondering a week or so ago when this was coming out :) I remember it being almost painfully delightful to read.

I was shamefully douchey to the author when I discovered the book when it won its 2009 Nebula. The last chapters were ganked from the web before I’d finished reading. I would not, I said, have begun reading it, had I known the last pages of the book were to be virtually ripped out. I was the archetypical whiny entitled fanboy.

The author in her reply was lovely to me. She even offered to email me a copy (I declined, having cooled down and realized how ghastly I’d been). She explained that the removal was against her wishes, but since she lacks Corey’s clout, it was the best she could negotiate with the publisher: she felt lucky to get away with so much more than just the first chapter, and only signing away her own rights to republish her work for a limited duration.

I’m totally buying this book, and supporting this author. I *want* her to become one of the Coreys of this world! :) I want to read more of her. I want her to be able to work by crowdfunding and open publishing, without having to deface her own work by taking parts of it down.

3. Dewi Morgan says:

Oh hey – she has a contest on her blog, with some nice swag! :)

Yeah, I know that by posting about it here, I’m shooting down any chance I might have had of winning it – but really: she’s worth it! I haven’t been this excited about an author since I discovered Gaiman, and he thinks she rocks, to :)

4. Festus says:

Thanks Cory, for another great review. I rely on you for new reading for myself and my daughters.

5. Art says:

Thank you for the great review, Cory.
    I also love the cover art. So nicely done!

6. RedBaron says:

The free web-novel is no longer up, now that there’s a print book in the offing :-(

Anybody lucky enough to have gotten a copy, hang on to it! (and email it to me…)

Oh gods,I’ve been searching for this book since I read it online years ago and forgot the title. Thank you so much!