Boing Boing Live at Apple WWDC keynote

By Dean Putney

[ Update: 10am PT: the BB 2011 WWDC liveblog is under way. ]

I'll be at the Moscone Center in San Francisco this morning for the Apple Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, and will be live-blogging photos and tweets from the event on the Boing Boing Liveblog.The keynote is scheduled to start at 10am Pacific time (1pm ET, or GMT-7) today Monday, June 6, 2011.

Word is that Steve Jobs himself and various Apple execs will be introducing Mac OSX 10.7 (Lion), iOS 5, and iCloud at the 2011 WWDC. Along with questions about how each of these new products will interrelate, we're all wondering about what hasn't been teased: maybe a new iPhone?

We'll all find out soon enough, and I'll be alerting you as fast as my fingers can tweet and my wireless-connected digital camera can publish. If you have questions, or are curious about anything in particular in the keynote, please send me a tweet so I can look into it and take some pictures for you!

[Boing Boing Liveblog]

Published 8:52 am Mon, Jun 6, 2011

, , ,

About the Author

Software developer and GIF archivist in San Francisco. Follow me on Twitter.

23 Responses to “Boing Boing Live at Apple WWDC keynote”

1. CountZero says:

Typical trolling from those who fail to understand that Apple take what others do really badly and charge for, then make it work properly and either charge less for or do it free. Like iCloud, and Amazon and Google’s crappy alternatives. I want something that works, not some half-assed shonky system that takes hours to run and falls over when I need it most.

• Cowicide says:

You mean like MobileMe? Haha…

So, no Lala replacement? Big disappointment. I’m starting to suspect Apple just bought it to kill it.

• Cowicide says:

Seems to me the Lala technology was integrated into Lion/iTunes/iCloud?

3. Cowicide says:

I’m surprised there was no mention of multi-user Screen Sharing for Lion where the Mac OS basically acts as a free built-in terminal server to some extent.

source

In Mac OS X 10.7 Lion, the built-in Screen Sharing feature, updated from 1.1.1 to version 1.3, now allows remote users to log into a separate user account from the one that is currently logged in. That means that while one user is logged into a machine, a second user can login to the same machine remotely, seeing their own desktop and user environment.

Previously, any users who attempted screen sharing with another system could only see a mirror of what was currently on the screen, and would “fight” for mouse and keyboard control of the remote system with that locally logged in user. Now, any user with the credentials to perform screen sharing can log into a Lion system independently of another user who may already be logged in, and continue to work in a separate graphical session parallel to the logged in user.

4. von Bobo says:

OMG OMG OMG!

5. von Bobo says:

Question: who do I contact if I want to sell an organ for an iwhatever?

6. kylerconway says:

How will they thwart others from innovating this time?

7. JustaddH3o says:

The first 30 minutes will be patent trolling and what all they have learned from competitors.
    Next 30 minutes will be “new” mobile innovations that competitors will make better and sell for less.

iOS5 Beta downloads – http://pastebin.com/rsd7s8sb

Dropbox didn’t invent dropbox-the technology has existed for years, and anyone with a local server could have managed their files similarly.

I also must’ve missed the part where Apple claimed to invent all of these features. Indeed, Apple looks to competitors and other tech companies for ideas…just like Google and Microsoft and Amazon and every other company in every industry in the world. If you’re going to criticize something, at least do so intelligently.

• Cowicide says:

If you’re going to criticize something, at least do so intelligently.

You don’t really find a lot of intelligent, balanced, informed criticism amongst Apple haters unfortunately. There’s some, but not many.

WWDC – What Would David Cross do?

11. tylerkaraszewski says:

For next time, the live tweets on the right hand side of the liveblog page could do with a:
    $tweet =~ s/#apple #wwdc$//;

12. pepik says:

I’m getting a 404 for http://boingboing.net/live/ :(

13. Dave says:

That’s a lot of Apple hate. Thought someone had eaten a puppy on stage for a moment.

• Cowicide says:

Right, the platform jealously runs thick sometimes. They’re like closeted homosexual conservatives who lash out at other gays all the time because they secretly desire to come out and be gay themselves.

Maybe they should just come out of the closet and get a Mac already? …. sheesh. Otherwise, why all those focus on Macs? Why do they even bother with this thread?

Like the closeted homosexual conservatives, they seem to go out of their way to denounce others who make other choices. Who cares?

We like and use Macs. If you don’t like it and don’t care about the platform.. then why all the attention?

Just… get.. a… Mac… already… hahaha….

• frogworth says:

Because Apple fanbois are so implacable, so Apple haterz have to exist.
        And for me, because there’s so much that’s good about Apple and OSX and iOS that all the shitty ways they make it shitty grate even more. I realise this is simply not going to resonate with you – so be it. Haterz gonna hate regardless :)

14. von Bobo says:

apple just invented cloud computing!

15. pjcamp says:

Steve invents Dropbox! And Sync! And Full Screens! And phones that don’t need iTunes to turn them on!

Steve is a visionary. He tells us what to need.

Oh, and also thugs who harass people trying to stream a public event.

Truth is this event was pretty damn dull and consisted mostly of Apple execs bragging about their stocks. It was more like a shareholder’s meeting.