42 Responses to “The new Palomino Blackwing 602 pencil is a fine tribute to the Eberhard Faber Blackwing 602”

To some, myself included, a good pencil helps to elevate an otherwise mundane activity to something tolerable, or even pleasurable. I am a pencil geek, in fact having the Tombow Mono 100 and Palomino logos tattooed down the back of my legs. Not to feed the trolls, but its a relatively cheap and practical fetish. I don’t seem to see any bashing of the drooling done over expensive electronics you normally see here (not that I am casting aspersions mind you, to each his own).

2. hooch66 says:

I’d like to try it out. I wish I could buy 1 at maybe $2 instead of having to buy 12 at $20. Still, looks pretty cool and I hope it is successful.

3. Kosmoid says:

Mark, I’ve been giving these folks a lot of business based on your recommendation. Will have to try out the BW.

I have to say that I was disappointed in the new 602. The smoothness that Palomino achieved with their first try is gone. While it is still a better writer because it does hold it’s point better, it still isn’t as nice as the original Blackwing 602.

The best that I’ve come to find a good replacement is the Mitsu-bishi Hi-Uni in 3B, which I think is nicer. You may want to try the 2B also.

Tombow Mono in the 3 or 4 B is also nice, as is the Palomino 2B (orange colored pencil), which I like better than the Blackwing 602′s lead.

For the budget conscious, I really like Musgrave’s Unigraph in 2B lead, and their Unigraph and hex in HB and number 2 lead. Very nice pencils at a great price, and USA made. (Stay away from their B lead which is horrible. I don’t know why, but it is harder and lighter than their HB.)

5. lrivers says:

Hey Mark, let me help you out with a link to the Best. Pencil. Sharpener. Evar. http://boingboing.net/2011/03/10/clive-thompson-on-th.html

looks like a Nimbus 2000

7. Ambiguity says:

And because the pencil is no longer in production, a cult has formed around it

Umm… I hadn’t noticed…..

Awesome. Hope you can run a piece on Konstnärer’s bespoke paperclips in the near future. The model p311/b will take your breath away and is a stunning tribute to early Vaalar designs, very retro but with a twist – it’s only available in gun metal grey!

• echolocate chocolate says:

Tee hee :)

Seriously though, I have never felt like splurging on fancy pencils, until now.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Hope you can run a piece on Konstnärer’s bespoke paperclips in the near future.

We get occasional Submitterations from a website that sells vintage office supplies from Eastern Europe. You could have a drawerful of Communist-era Czech binder clips!

9. cratermoon says:

As long as we’re on a stationery and writing geek ride, anyone want to share their favorite notebooks? I prefer bound, numbered pages in a typical notebook size. These lab notebooks from BookFactory are pricey but the gold standard for me, except that I wish the pages were more off-white.

Another notebook I’ve found that I like are these journals from Nightingale Products. Unfortunately their website doesn’t show the inside pages, but they are lined and numbered in addition to having a short quote on each page. They also have a space for the Date at the top of each page.

For cheap and numbered, these blue scientific notebooks form Roaring Spring are good. Numbered pages, light green paper is easy on the eyes.

Someday I might order some of these lab notebooks from Eureka. I like the page layout and the paper is off-white.

• jfrancis says:

I don’t, but I know a guy that loves the Black N Red Notebooks by John Dickinson – which I guess are hard to come by in the US.

• cratermoon says:

Black N Red isn’t that hard to come by in the US. I’ve seen them now and then at office supply places. I don’t think the pages are numbered though, as best I recall the ones I’ve seen, and that’s a deal-breaker for me.

Leuchtturm 1917 is another good choice, if you can find them.

10. hplcman says:

Jesus.

Really? A post about pencils? Is that what we’re doing now? And golly! With close-up photos and everything!! I can’t wait to go buy a pencil now! How awesome is that?!?!

• Anonymous says:

You know, if you’re not interested in a post, you can just skip it. There’s no need to be an asshole about it.

• RebNachum says:

Indeed. Before I saw this exchange, I was going to post my gratitude at discovering I’m not the world’s only stationery nerd. Thank you, Mark. Keep ‘em coming.

• Mark Frauenfelder says:

Back to troll school for you!

11. wobinidan says:

Hey, some people just really like pencils.

12. tyger11 says:

Is it just me, or does the Palomino (the one with the black finish) produce MUCH more readable writing? Are you pencil dorks completely missing the point of pencils? (Pun intended. :)

Chefs have knives, painters a brand of paints or brushes, and writers have pencils. There is still something to be said for doing something simple really well. Apparently sarcasm is what you do well. Good luck with that.

14. jfrancis says:

I bought a few to compare and was so unimpressed with the original that I started to wonder if the old ones on eBay are somehow being counterfeited.

15. Kosmoid says:

To continue the stationery nerdness: I’m devoted to Clairefontaine notebooks. I get mine from these folks in Oregon…

The binding doesn’t fall apart and the paper is substantial, not like that moleskine crap that rips every time I take a sharp pencil to it.

Mark, we’re glad you like it! Ive been using mine all week, and I know I can’t tell the difference between the graphite of the original and this one. We’re glad you are out there to spread
    the joy of wooden pencils.

-Andy at Pencils.com

17. Corn.E.Copia says:

Col-Erase pencils are the ♥. The LOVE! Especially the Blue. Back in the era of paper storyboards, they saved me time after time, day after day.

The LOVE!

I used to use the Blackwing pencils way back when, in fact I might still have some somewhere. I just can’t understand why anyone would pay $20 for one. When I draw, any number 2 pencil will do as it’s got more to do with learning to control the pressure which is up to you, not the pencil.

I still have a whole box (12p) of the original Blackwing Warriors. Best animation pencils, indeed. My number 2 would be the Berol Turquoise 2B. Good to know the Palomino got improved.

Nice. Thanks for the info. Now who’s going to do the same for the IBM Electrographic?

I have some Palomino 602′s on the way and they will not be sharpened with a Kum Automatic Longpoint – a very overrated sharpener. I will be using my Derwent three hole sharpener which produces an even longer point (without repeatedly breaking as the KUM does) than does the KUM.

22. tylerkaraszewski says:

I agree with the other commenters who think this is a bit ridiculous.

23. mypalmike says:

After you buy the pencil, you’ll need a good Lego-based pencil sharpener robot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hcEonw8MmY I think it’s a sharpener anyhow.

I may be a pencil nerd but I really enjoyed this article and found it informative and well done.

25. penguinchris says:

Do any shops stock these locally? I’d like one or two, I don’t really need 12. Are they good for drawing? (I know next to nothing about drawing/sketching and am trying to get into it)

I’ll save my cultish desire for the discontinued Rotring 0.5mm Lava Finish mechanical pencil. That, folks, is a writing instrument deserving of my ardent longings.

27. namnezia says:

I’m not so keen on the palomino long point sharpener. I usually press fairly hard and I keep breaking the long points. If you don’t need to carry it around, I recommend this pencil sharpener by X-acto:

Very nice sharp, yet still longish points.

Pencilwise, I like Mars-Lumograph 2B or 4B for writing. You can get individual ones of these at any art supply store.

Wow, both my wife and I will love the new pencils. I also ordered those awesome sharpeners. Perhaps we “need a life” if we are getting excited over a few pencils? ;-)

29. EarthtoGeoff says:

I’m a writer, but actually hate pencils. In particular, the cringe-worthy sound that normal pencils make when they move across paper. It’s right up there with dry snow under winter boots and styrofoam being crunched by friends who know I hate it.

You mention that the lead on this is softer than normal — do you notice a difference in not only the way this writes, but how it sounds? Maybe related to how it feels but kind of not quite? If it feels like charcoal as much as it looks, then that’s a win.

30. pborenstein says:

I still remember the day I went to Bob Slate to pick up some Blackwing 602 pencils, only to be told that “they don’t make them anymore.” I was pretty bummed out. It’s a nice coincidence, then, that just a few months after Bob Slate closed for good, to learn about this new incarnation of the 602.

If you don’t have a fondness for stationery, it’s hard to appreciate why this article is good news.

• Michael Leddy says:

I’m saddened to learn that Bob Slate has closed. On summer visits to Cambridge, I always made a point of stopping in and stocking up. It was, in my experience, the greatest stationery store ever.

You snivelers need to STFU as pencil geekery does no harm and pencil quality really does make a difference to us that are all into it. Would you chide a painter for wanting good quality brushes? sheesh people…..

Unfortunately for me though, I’m a down-scale kinda gal monetarily wise and have to make do with Mirado Black Warriors. (which are the best you are going to find in the typical store)

32. Telecustard says:

I like pencils a lot for drawing. I have really taken to using the darkest ones I can find. I started with a General’s No. 555 and a Kimberly 525 4B, but one day waiting for the bus I saw a pretty girl drop a pencil in the gutter as she ran for her bus. I picked it up – it was a Mars Lumograph 6B. Fantastic pencil. The 8B is a completely different beast, but awesome in it’s own right (write?)

Derwent Graphic 7B, 8B, and 9B are also good friends to me.

Such a wonderful medium. I don’t use the Wacom tablet much at all anymore :)

33. collapsingwaves says:

Excellent reviews, references and just other great pencillary: