The Complete Zap Comix, coming next year!

8 Responses to “The Complete Zap Comix, coming next year!”

1. Julian Fine says:

They’re also going to start in on the EC library.

2. That is awesome news. I grew up on Zap!

3. aldestrawk says:

OMG! Are you kidding me $10,000 for the first issue? I just checked my copy. It’s not in perfect shape but it is close. As a teenager, I skipped a day in school and, with a friend, took the brand new BART transportation up to San Francisco for the day. In my wanderings around town, we stopped in at the City Lights Book store. I bought the first 3 issues of Zap there. Cool stuff! It definitely had an influence on me. I was rebelling against my suburban upbringing and trying to learn and understand what I had just missed in the previous few years. Was it a cultural/political revolution or what? Interesting times.

4. aldestrawk says:

Since I was surprised at the $10,000 price for issue #1, I looked things up. That high price is for the 1st printing, of which, there were maybe as few as 1500 printed. I did see an estimate of $26,000. I apparently have the third printing which is not so valuable. The 1st printing has a cover price of 25 cents, which is a distinguishing characteristic.

@Macbookheir:  I am not an artist but a scientist/computer geek. The influence on me is more cultural/conceptual rather than R. Crumb’s artwork. Probably everyone in my university during the mid 1970′s knew who he was. What kind of legacy does that make? Not sure, probably will die out in less than thirty years along with all my friends from that time.

5. billstewart says:

Back in the late 70s, my dentist in San Francisco was the young junior partner stuck working Saturdays.  The reading material in his waiting room included Zap Comix, and while you were getting work done you could listen to loud rock on headphones as well as using nitrous.

These days he’s up in Marin, and his waiting room has Architectural Digest and People and the usual women’s magazines, and the background music sounds like dentist’s office music.

6. aldestrawk says:

Although I don’t claim to be a normal person, R. Crumb definitely had an influence on me during my impressionable teen years. When I became an athlete in college, Mr. Natural, was, already, the adopted team mascot, and we all had Mr. natural patches sewed onto our fencing jackets. Probably true, that his influence was not widespread, but he was more influential than you are suggesting.

7. s2redux says:

“I totally disagree with the assertion that ZAP and many of the ZAP comic artists were heavily influential and disruptive to cultural mores.”

Perhaps you should re-read the second paragraph of the posted excerpt; Zap’s influence and disruption are being compared to that of MAD mag, not the invention of the steam engine or the Emancipation Proclamation. (An understandable error, given that your attention was p’bly diverted by the effort of subbing the word “heavily” for the original comparison’s “equally” ;-)

For me the statement rings true. Alfred E. was the modern day Aristophones for middle-class males on the cusp of being able to think for themselves; a guide to the inconsistencies and incongruities of the well-rehearsed fictions our parents read as reality. Zap and its ilk (e.g. The Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers) sharpened this satirical tension by featuring sexual politics, drug culture, self-hatred, and other “adult” themes as we approached draft age.