Gingrich's million Twitter followers: "80% dummy accounts, 10% paid followers"

24 Responses to “Gingrich's million Twitter followers: "80% dummy accounts, 10% paid followers"”

1. Guest says:

I’d say they’re probably 100% dummy accounts.

2. nosehat says:

I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s got a similar method lined up to get votes.

For example: this kind of thing

3. ambiguator says:

that’s still 100,000 more “real people” followers than i have.

4. Mirik Smit says:

This is probably a false story by disgruntled employees: http://slate.me/pFykVi (thanks to the great Joshua Holland (@joshuahol) who pointed this out to me)

That’s the real surprise here; it not being true.

5. benher says:

Sir Bedevere: What makes you think she’s a witch?
    Peasant 3: Well, she turned me into a newt!
    Sir Bedevere: A newt?
    Peasant 3: [meekly after a long pause] … I got better.

6. The man who preached the sanctity of marriage while cheating on his wife is a fraud? Well, I can tell you, I am surprised!

7. Rider says:

Just because an account is inactive is no indication it’s a dummy account.  I have a twitter account that I used to follow several people.  I never really posted anything and it has been sitting there abandoned for 2 years now.  I would imagine Gingrich attracted a lot of people who never had any real interest in using the service.

• ChicagoD says:

That is a fair point, but if 800,000 of his 1,000,000 followers are such accounts . . . that seems . . . unlikely? High? Craptacular?

• Mr. Spocko says:

Please read the follow up article. http://gawker.com/5826960/update-only-92-of-newt-gingrichs-twitter-followers-are-fake. That explains more about how the research firm separates out simply inactive accounts and dummy accounts. There are people who sit around and create thousands of fake accounts and then sell them to people. You can buy them on ebay and from firms that specialize in social media.
      During the early days of blogs they were called flogs, fake blogs. The need to manufacture, buzz, is something that will continue to happen as the technology moves on.

8. Bubba73 says:

I know at least 70% of my followers are real, I created them myself.

9. adwkiwi says:

Given how much he overpaid for his website, I shudder to think what this cost him

10. Yes but so, this list of fake followers is great source for unlikely names for characters in the novel you  have been working on (yes, you there, mister writer).

I call dibs on Eel Irab, though. I plan to put him through hell.

Sexy hell.

11. knoxblox says:

To be more exact, how many are dummy accounts, stupid accounts, misinformed accounts, or just plain ignorant accounts?

12. paratroopa says:

Technically, all of Obama’s twitter followers are dummies too.  Right?

13. JohnBerry says:

The article says: “Pathetic, isn’t it?” I say “No, encouraging!” Now I know that there are not a million people who want to hear from this buffoon. And we knew Gingrich was pathetic.

14. Michael Steely says:

My guess is that most celebs and public figures with astoundingly high numbers of followers have mostly fake followers.