The Kid Should See This: cool web-stuff for kids

9 Responses to “The Kid Should See This: cool web-stuff for kids”

1. Snarf Snarf says:

I like this idea! I just recently started a tumblr (is that what you call it? a tumble-log?) with short films, animations and other cinematic experiences from the web ( for the curious here is a link : minicinema.tumblr.com ) and just this morning I decided to make one more focusing on kid friendly movies.

I really wish there was a way to dub youtube/vimeo videos though, because there is so much good stuff out there, but since I am danish and my kids are too, they can’t understand most of what is out there since its in english. It is such a shame, so will somebody please invent a way to do dubs/voiceovers on online videos so I could make my own translations/voiceovers of some of those great educational and entertaining videos floating about the interwebs?

• charles reid says:

You can find browser plugins (for Firefox) that will allow you to download YouTube videos, then you could use video editing software (visit http://www.osalt.com/ for a good list of open source alternatives) to dub the videos.

• Snarf Snarf says:

Yeah downloading and editing is a possibility, but it sort of loses the whole point of sharing it all on the web. That is basically the same as what I do already when I translate videos for my kids while we watch them, but those kids’ endurance surpasses my patience by quite a lot in the long run.

I would really like a way to dub videos and share it online in a simple way. Like that project with crowdsourced subtitles on videos featurede previously on Boing Boing : http://boingboing.net/2010/12/09/universal-subtitles.html

Unfortunately I am not smart enough to build such a feature myself.

2. charles reid says:

kind of like an exploratorium for the web… fun for 3 year old kids and 3 year old adults

3. xtalman says:

This get a couple of thumbs up from my kids (4 and 9) and me.

4. Mister44 says:

Some neat stuff on there – great for home schooling. Thanks.