16 Responses to “Getting Off: A Novel of Sex & Violence - excerpt from a new Hard Case Crime novel by Lawrence Block”

1. Nicholas Tuzzio says:

I pity those who would either blush at this story or panic that their bosses might know that this story traipsed through their brain while at work.

2. mappo says:

Xeni put down that knife!

3. scifijazznik says:

I think the entire publishing industry could benefit by putting artwork similar to that on all book jackets.  One could almost imagine the above jacket on Hillary Clinton’s tell-all.  You’re welcome for that mental image.

4. Asa says:

I remember reading a short story with almost the same plot, about a woman going back and killing all of her old lovers, one by one, so she could be a virgin again.

5. sockdoll says:

I enjoy Hard Case Crime books and Lawrence Block’s writing, (even if he WAS writing as Jill Emerson), so this was an especially enjoyable excerpt for me Mark.

Thanks.

6. anotheraaron says:

Hard Case Crime still exists?  I used to be part of their book club (joined after seeing it mentioned here) – after about six months they sold my subscription to Del Ray and started shipping me crappy science fiction books.  Had to call 3 times to get the d*mn thing canceled.

They didn’t go out of business?

7. Brainspore says:

That was a lot of build up for a sex scene as brief as “…and it was as good as she’d known it would be.” Perhaps it was the author’s first time?

8. rickward says:

Asa, I remember that story too! In fact it seems remarkably similar. Is Hard Case Crime 100% certain this is the First Publication Anywhere?

9. Jack Myers says:

Love that Robert McGuinnis (style) book cover.  Edit, I see it was done by Gregory Manchess.

10. Huwman says:

I know I must be getting old when I just keep thinking, “That’s an unsanitary place for a kitchen knife.” *sigh*

11. Nadreck says:

Not Hard Boiled enough.  I prefer things more along the lines of “It was raining in the Big City, the drops coming down like the tears of an orphaned rat, when a dame walked into my office with the kind of body I hadn’t seen since they stopped making Studebakers.” – From “The Deader They Die”

• Donald Petersen says:

with the kind of body I hadn’t seen since they stopped making Studebakers

Wow… even if he’s talking about Avantis, I’d much rather be looking at the body of Madame Kniferack above.  That line could be the most hard-boiled thing I’ve ever read.

12. Gulliver says:

And people ridicule me for reading speculative fiction?!!!

Crap that was crappy crap writing.