Gweek podcast episode 024: John Hodgman

By Mark Frauenfelder

Gweek-024-600-Wide

Images Mm117399671 That-Is-All-John-Hodgman-Hardcover-Cover-Art

Our guest co-host is John Hodgman, actor, "resident expert" on The Daily Show, celebrity judge, and book author. The third and final installment in his trilogy of Complete World Knowledge -- That Is All -- comes out on November 1.

John spoke with Rob Beschizza, Ruben Bolling, and me about his book and many other things, including:

Our favorite comic book stores:

Bergen Street Comics (New York)

Forbidden Planet (New York)

Secret Headquarters (Los Angeles)

Meltdown (Los Angeles)

Gosh! (London)

Forbidden Planet (London)

The Judge John Hodgman podcast

My Friend [Jeffrey] Dahmer, by Derf Backderf

Flipback, which all the rage in Europe but only just hitting the U.S.

MiniBuek

The Book of Lists

The Intimate Sex Lives of Famous People

Inconspicuous Consumption: An Obsessive Look at the Stuff We Take for Granted, from the Everyday to the Obscure, by Paul Lukas

Listomania: A World of Fascinating Facts in Graphic Detail

Atomic Robo

DC's unfortunate Reboot.

Download Gweek 024 as an MP3 | Subscribe to Gweek via iTunes | Subscribe via RSS | Download single episodes of Gweek as MP3s

Wp-Content Uploads 2011 10 201110231645

We'd like to give a special thanks EdgeCast Networks, our bandwidth provider and sponsor!

Published 12:28 pm Mon, Oct 31, 2011

About the Author

Mark Frauenfelder is the founder of Boing Boing and the founding editor-in-chief of MAKE. He is editor-in-chief of Cool Tools and co-founder of Wink Books. Twitter: @frauenfelder. His new book is Maker Dad: Lunch Box Guitars, Antigravity Jars, and 22 Other Incredibly Cool Father-Daughter DIY Projects

11 Responses to “Gweek podcast episode 024: John Hodgman”

1. Stefan Jones says:

I finally caught up with a backlog of Gweek, so I’m really looking forward to this one.

Nice ferret.

2. Mark_Frauenfelder says:

There is a prob with the rss feed that I’m trying to fix. In the meantime, you can listen to the episode here: http://wpc.500b.edgecastcdn.net/00500B/gweek/Gweek_024.mp3

3. Ramone says:

Looks like you got a bad link there with Bergen street comics.

4. scifijazznik says:

John Hodgman sans moustache > John Hodman avec moustache.

5. Cornan_KotW says:

I’m not seeing this most recent episode on iTunes for some reason. I see all the previous ones but this one still isn’t listed. Of course, it’s entirely possible I’m doing something wrong.

6. Kirke Godfrey says:

Røde are Australian mics, they are VERY good.
    (actually i hope RØDE see this and give me a Mic! :+)

7. Iananan says:

Great to see atomic robo being mentioned, excellent book, (which incidentally, I have had pinup art in)

8. Dogsop Smith says:

This episode still isn’t showing up on iTunes.

9. +1 on no new ep on iTunes :( mp3 here I come

10. Excellent show, Mark!  John is a fantastic and very entertaining guest.  I love the fact that he’s  a comic geek and I loved all the talk about the comic industry.  Even my handle on this site is taken from an underground comic hero.  One thing not mentioned: I bought my first superhero comic for 60 cents at a supermarket.  When was the last time comics were available at a supermarket?  And available for such a low price?  When comics began to develop “adult” themes in the late 80s, they were taken out of the supermarkets, as well as priced out of the budget of the ordinary kid.  What average kid is going to amass a huge comic collection (like I still have) if every issue is $5?  He won’t have the funds.  I say, to expand the base of comics and bring in new, young readers like John suggests, make comics cheap again and available in places other than comic specialty stores (of which there aren’t many left anyway).