Simon and Kirby Crime comic anthology: exclusive Boing Boing excerpt

8 Responses to “Simon and Kirby Crime comic anthology: exclusive Boing Boing excerpt”

1. greenberger says:

I’m not sure this is what Alan Moore had in mind when he tapped into the Guy Fawkes spirit for his anti-totalitarian epic, but it’s an entertaining (and nicely rendered) yarn nonetheless. I, for one, am glad to see Mr. Fawkes’ legend roaming bigger than ever in 2011, thanks, in part, to Moore, and in part to the wonderful OWS movement…

2. andygates says:

Hee! It reads like a trippy Chick tract!

3. Mark_Frauenfelder says:

I really love the hand lettering here.

4. Gee, why did the conspirators want to blow up King James?  Could it be to put a Catholic king on the throne?  Woulda been nice to include some of the motives behind the plot although I love that Kirby/Simon style.

5. phuzz says:

The catholic vs protestant overtones of the original story have been missed out here (but then it has been 400 years).  Also, the vaguely  man shaped bundle of old clothes that is burnt each year all over England may sometimes resemble a disliked modern figure more than a catholic plotter…

(Up until recently November the 5th was the only time of year that it was possible to buy fireworks in most places in the UK, and it’s still the most popular time to set off things that go *bang*)

6. Strato Head says:

I loved that the 4 color process and colors chosen make Fawkes look like a cliched pimp in several panels.

7. bluest_one says:

The purple! It makes my eyes bleed!

8. mrclamo says:

I’ll  probably get this, but the reproduction looks crappy. They would have been better off scanning and reprinting the original comics. What I’m really waiting for is an anthology of “Crime Does Not Pay”–now, THAT would be something to get excited about!