Science helps old mice age gracefully

8 Responses to “Science helps old mice age gracefully”

1. Chrs says:

The thing that naively concerns me the most is the fact that most populations of neurons have also stopped dividing.  It’s likely they operate in a different manner than other cell populations, given their ridiculously high energy usage, but I did notice that there was no cognitive testing in the comparisons here.

• AbleBakerCharlie says:

In the real write-up, they note that neural cells don’t use the same marker proteins and were exempt from execution. And I suspect that amidst the battery of tests, the rodents suddenly acting brain-dead would have warranted some attention.

2. I am disappointed with the lack of Mr. Jenkins from The Green Mile.

3. I’m engaged in a similar study, except that mine makes extensive use of athletic equipment and computer programming. So far I’m in better condition, physically and cognitively, than I was ten years ago. However, I haven’t yet been able to replicate these results in mice (or my cats, for that matter).

4. madopal says:

But what about the poor old trackballs?  Don’t they deserve research, too?

5. hyljelyhje says:

For a while I thought that a cure were invented for the yellowed plastic of my old commodore 64 but then I read the rest of the post.

(I don’t mean to downplay the research, hopefully they have whole thing figured out before my own casing turns brittle)

6. saurabh says:

Can’t read the article behind its paywall. I really wish Nature would switch to a PLoS-like charge-the-author model instead of charging the world $30 to read a damn article. Err. Anyway – is there any discussion there of the effects of this treatment on normal mice relative to untreated mice? Also, it should be noted that these mice have the genetic circuit engineered into them – you can’t just pop some pills and kill off your problematic senescent cells this way.

7. Greg Webster says:

See also Senesco Technologies, which has been using senescence for food treatment for a while and is in the middle of long-term testing of controlling senescence for cancer treatment, with the potential of chemotherapy that is more effective but doesn’t make people sick.

Disclaimer, I own 3000 shares, which sounds like a lot, but really isn’t. I bought it because I love the idea of not watching people I love suffer through chemo ever again.