Library to get a hackerspace

12 Responses to “Library to get a hackerspace”

1. GawainLavers says:

Never heard of Fayetteville, NY.  I was briefly excited for my old town.

2. awjt says:

EVEN MORE Lauren Smedley, please!  She is FAB-LAB!  That is all.

3. Kevin Osborne says:

As a librarian i’m inspired.
    Gotta talk to the boss-lady about doing this at work.
    I’m pretty sure we can lose a few dozen microfiche shelves to make space…

4. Jack Daniel says:

This is awesome and I hope a sign of things to come. As books move more and more into the digital space, libraries should evolve into community centers of learning/making for people of all ages.

5. WaylonWillie says:

Free use of cnc routers….wow, that is insane (and expensive I imagine). I’m moving to Fayetteville!

6. Chris Anderson says:

I say the first thing to be made with the Makerbot should be an awesome life size statue of Lauren Smedley  to celebrate her awesomeness.

7. DMStone says:

I  like the idea of a Fab Lab in this library, she seems like she is operating more of a community center, and they don’t seem limited on space like most public libraries.

I, however, continue to question the wisdom of donating any money towards cutting edge technology to a group who doesn’t know how to hold a camera correctly.

8. Riko Stan says:

Only about an hour away from home, so hopefully this spreads throughout the area!

9. gdieken says:

Great project, FFL! Shooting your promo in 9:16 format certainly doesn’t telegraph to the world that you know which end is up. Skinny doesn’t usually work with interior space & is unforgiving toward the person behind the lens.

10. Reminds me of coworking and a particular coworking /collaborative workspace –> TechShop.

11. olivia greiser says:

We’ve got a sort of fab lab at the Allen County Public Library in Indiana as well.  It’s called the Maker Station, it’s a 10′ x 50′ trailer facility of the nonprofit group Tek Venture http://www.tekventure.org ,  and it will be here for a year or so.

What hasn’t been figured out (yet) is how to make it available for free or permanently.   Kudos to Fayetteville PL for leading the way on that front!