There's a great write-up on Good about my city and my mayor, R.T. Rybak. Minneapolis isn't a perfect city, by any means. But it remains the best place I have ever had the privilege of living. And I think a huge part of that is the unofficial city motto that Good highlights here: "Minneapolis: We Build Stuff and Take Care of Things."

12 Responses to “I am thankful for Minneapolis”

1. OldBrownSquirrel says:

It’s a lot better than it was sixty years ago.  There’s a reason so many Jews moved to St. Louis Park back then, and why as a result I spent my first several Thanksgivings (until my grandparents retired) in St. Louis Park.

2. iancanfield says:

Thanks for pointing out this article, I enjoyed reading it. I have always appreciated Rybak’s role as mayor, but when I saw him in North Mpls right after the tornado, before most rescue workers, helping out and talking to neighbors as one of us, he showed that he was great because he is just like the rest of us. Mpls might have some issues still but I wouldn’t want to be anywhere else.

3. GawainLavers says:

While Minnesota’s state government shut down for 20 days because the GOP-dominated Legislature couldn’t make a budget deal with the Democratic governor, the city’s Democratic mayor answers to a 13-member City Council with nary a Republican member. (Or, for that matter, an independent; the only non-Democrat represents the Green Party.)

That hasn’t exactly made things any easier here in SF, but I suppose what we have here is really machine vs. not-machine parties, where the latter are not really an organized party.  That said, when we had citywide supervisoral elections and the machine controlled everything, things were worse.

“That party stuff just does not get in there,” she says. “Why? Because there is no Republican or Democratic way to pick up the garbage.”

Ms. Johnson clearly lives in a enviable, blissful state of ignorance about how the Republican Party operates.

The City of Lakes is not without its problems and failures. The economy is stagnant. Poverty is increasing. But many of the city’s issues are rooted in decisions made far beyond the reach of City Hall.

“Shit rolls downhill, right?” says David Brauer, who has covered Minneapolis city government on and off for three decades. “They can’t pass their obligations off to some other unit of government, so on some level that is where it all settles.”

That is surely the crux of problems with city government in this day and age: if Minneapolis is keenly aware of the problem, perhaps that explains some of their success.  Here in the Bay Area we’re often too busy planning foreign policy to look at our own streets.

4. Bottle Imp says:

Happy Thanksgiving Minneapolis. I miss you.

5. ChuckieJesus says:

Franklin Avenue, representin’.

6. Bergeboy says:

Jeremy Messersmith – Franklin Avenue http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a15noIgNWgo

7. Seraphim_72 says:

Maggie- I will buy you anything at Merlin’s Rest, any time. :)

8. John Vance says:

I came to Minneapolis from Atlanta, and I can’t begin to tell you how much different it is. People are kind to one another, they (mostly) don’t drive like assholes. The people are largely more progressive (except for the nutcases they elect up in the sixth district), and there’s an amazing sense of community for such a big town. I’d give it a big ol’ hug if I could. :-)

9. benher says:

I miss you Minneapolis!

I was born and raised in St. Louis Park. Moved to South Mpls. in the late 90s before ex-patting to Japan. Those years were magic. Many of the indie comic artists in the TC inspired me to become an artist. It was my first introduction to a thriving tattoo scene, which would become my occupation.

I have missed out on a lot in the decade apparently.
    The city has been churning out artistic talent left and right. The whole rise of “Dead Arts Publishing” for example. You can imagine my jealousy!Then one day a few weeks ago I was at an otaku bar in south Osaka. In walks a guy I’ve known for a couple years wearing a T-shirt that says “Nicollet Mall.” I was like, what the hell is that?! He tells me his wife has a Prince cover band called, of all things, Nicollet Mall.

Maggie, thanks so much for this post; with all the Occupy news (important as it is) it’s nice to see a Wonderful Thing once and awhile.

“Minneapolis: We Build Stuff and Take Care of Things.” Well, except for the bridge on I35, but I’ll just chalk that one up to Michelle Bachman for the hell of it.