Paracord belt unravels into 80' of survival cord

23 Responses to “Paracord belt unravels into 80' of survival cord”

1. jandrese says:

I wonder if it comes with instructions on how to turn it back into a belt after your emergency is over?

• SedanChair says:

You need instructions to leave yourself a few feet of cord to hold your pants up?

• penguinchris says:

That’s not what he’s asking, he wants to know how to take the entire 80 feet and put it back into belt form – ready for the next emergency.

I’m sure there are instructions out there on how to construct these belts, of course. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen one before somewhere on the internet. It sure seems like a pretty DIY-friendly item.

edit: should have scrolled down before replying 12 hours late; links and info have been posted regarding construction of these :)

2. tallin says:

It’s 80+ feet.  550 is the strength of the paracord.

3. jimh says:

If you want to see my underwear, just pull this cord and slowly walk awaaaaay…

4. John Holland says:

They’re really easy to make yourself, and paracord is really cheap on amazon. There are lots of cool colors.  You can google instructions for how to make belts and bracelets. You can even make multi-colored bracelets and straps that look pretty cool.

My nephew is a boy scout, and I bought him a bunch of paracord and instructions on how to make bracelets and belts. They’re all the rage, apparently. And super cheap if you make them yourself.

5. Chuck says:

You mean you keep your pants on in life-or-death situations?

6. SomeGuy says:

As noted above, it’s 550 paracord — not 550 FEET of paracord.  The actual length of the cord when unraveled depends on the waist size of the completed belt, the tightness of the knotting and the number of loops in the weave.  I make my own paracord belts, usually employing a 5 loop chain stitch similar to crocheting.  I takes about 85 to 90 feet of cord for one belt.  I recently made one for my son, who is considerably thinner than I, and it took only 55 feet.

7. Mike Wood says:

Any bets on how long before someone isn’t allowed on a plane wearing one of these?

8. Deidzoeb says:

Although they would undermine the etsy seller, instructions on how to do this with our own cords would be nice, especially if it’s a simple crochet pattern. Just don’t tell the electricians or you’ll never hear the end of it. http://boingboing.net/2011/10/22/how-to-no-tangle-extension-cord-storage.html

9. Childe Roland says:

If it is 7 strand paracord, the 80 feet turns into 560 feet of cord that has a breaking strength of 50 pounds or so, plenty strong enough to build a shelter or make a snare.

10. dragonfrog says:

So, useful for situations in which you might want lots of rope and no pants on.  I can think of a few of those.

11. waetherman says:

That would be a lot more useful if the belt buckle was a descender of some sort – like a classic Rescue Eight or something.

12. skabob says:

This is a great idea, but I think a rescue eight is a bit big for a belt buckle.  A simple eight would be better, plus the ears on a rescue eight would hurt.  Now to design the removable prong…

13. And bondage fans everywhere are cheering…

14. Franz says:

Pants, while stylish, are luckily not a survival necessity.

15. Sooper8 says:

When I wore bailing twine for a belt, I was called a tramp…how times change!

16. MarnieMacLean says:

The smallest size is about 10″ too big for my natural waist. Luckily, since I know how to crochet, I could make my own :)

17. Bubba73 says:

80 feet is nothing, 90 is where it’s at baby. However I feel the designers have not given enough thought as to what happens to my trousers after I rappel down the side of the nunnery. Proper prior preparation prevents piss poor performance.

18. Clifton says:

Strike down my pants and I will become more powerful than you can imagine.

19. trip encrypt says:

If you are interested in paracord projects checkout Stormdrane’s blog (stormdrane.blogspot.com)