Reboot Page: "unlimited rebooting experience from vintage operating systems"

39 Responses to “Reboot Page: "unlimited rebooting experience from vintage operating systems"”

1. jerwin says:

I like a machine that can turn itself off. I thought the PowerMac 6100 was a bit clunky compared to the IIsi– which could be turned on with the keyboard, injected floppy disks, and turned itself off when shut down. I’d like to see an OpenLook machine added to to the mix– the widget set has a funky, but clean look.

2. MelSkunk says:

They missed my favorite reboot.

3. DewiMorgan says:

Interesting: the best ones (in my opinion) do not begin with a question. The worst, which is the majority, seem to begin with an implication that the user hasn’t any idea what they’re doing: it look like “Are you sure you want to…” are six words that should be removed from UI designers’ repertoires.

• Eric Rucker says:

But what if the user really doesn’t have any idea what they’re doing?

• dnebdal says:

A question as old as the field itself, that. :D
        To quote Babbage:

On two occasions I have been asked [by members of Parliament], “Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?” I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

• Petzl says:

What sentence would you prefer that achieves the same ends?  “Please confirm…” sounds too military/tech. “Press ENTER to stop shutdown in XX seconds” is too much like a countdown/launch. “Are you sure…” is simply being direct and friendly, in line with Mac’s traditional style.  It’s not unusual to realize right after you hit restart/shutdown that you do in fact have some other task to finish first.  The “Are you sure” can jog your memory; a “Confirm this” message tends to make the user confirm mechanically without reflection.

I think I get what you’re talking about when the phrase is “Do you really want to … ” That should not be the way to ask the user for a confirmation, unless he’s attempting to wipe the harddrive or send a mass email to all members in the address book.

If you want to talk about UIs that insult the user’s intelligence, I would go with Windows Vista/Windows 7 multilayers of confirmation when you have the temerity to try to rename a file, let alone delete or actually run an executable.

• robuluz says:

What are you talking about? Click on the file name. Type a new name. Hit enter.

• dnebdal says:

Get this dialog, press enter again.

• In all fairness, that’s when you change an extension, not a filename, and you ge the exact same prompt on OSX.

That said, the default setup for Vista does assume that you’re an accident prone 80 year old that neither knows where they are or what they’re doing and that every action taken on the machine is cause for concern.

Win 7 might be the same, but I hope they fixed that stuff. Doing anything seemed to involve 8 security steps.

• dnebdal says:

This in reply to Nathan Hornby. (Why does disqus (here?) have a shallow nesting limit?)

True, it doesn’t ask if you only change the non-extension part of the name. I’ve noticed OS X does the same, too.  I’m not sure if it excuses anything, but at least it means it’s not a diffference between them. Fair enough.

Win7 is a bit less heavy on the EAC prompts than Vista; it sems to be better at remembering your answers. Running executables from the internet will give you a “signature could not be verified, run (yes/no)” dialog unless it is actually signed, which is a bit annoying. It makes more sense that installers get an EAC prompt, since they typically need some elevated access to install for all users.  I can live with that, honestly; it makes sense.

What I do wonder is how Win8 will be – they’ve made some sweeping tablet-ish changes to the interface, so I kind of expect it to be littered with “did you really mean that”-prompts meant to handle accidental touches. We will see.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

(Why does disqus (here?) have a shallow nesting limit?)

The alternative is to have comments at the end of a long thread that are one character wide.

• dnebdal says:

@Antinous_Moderator:disqus :
            Right- but wouldn’t it be nicer to establish a minimum comment width and just not shrink column width beyond that? The current form means you can’t really continue a sub-discussion for more than a few posts before it’s confusing/impossible to get reply notifications; sacrificing the visual nesting level indication seems like it would be a lower “cost” than sacrificing max comment depth.

Oh well, at least it has a practical and fairly sensible reason. :)

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Feel free to buy Disqus and implement. When we switched over to nested comments, I assumed that the limit was just visual, but no. The options are to leave it as is, have comments one character wide or go back to flat chrono threads.

• dnebdal says:

@Antinous_Moderator:disqus :
            Fair enough,  I guess we can hope they’ll do something elegant  in a future version.  It’s not a huge problem, anyway. :)

4. akbar56 says:

Not nearly enough extensions on the mac reboot.

5. The Amiga reboot sounded just like old times. Maybe I should dust them off and give em’ a try. Thanx for the link.

6. dagfooyo says:

Haha this was so awesome.  I’d used at least 3/4 of these OSes at one point or other in my life.  My girlfriend was laughing at how excited I got seeing all the restart sequences again.

It’s funny since when I watched them all originally I was just impatient for them to restart.

7. Karloskar says:

I find it interesting that what was, up until June last year, the most prevalent operating system in the world is classified as “vintage”. :)

8. kekko says:

The funniest thing happened, when Firefox 9.0.1 crashed during the fake OSX reboot on my Windows XP machine.

9. I don’t remember them being that fast.

10. chaopoiesis says:

Anyone on the historical authenticity of the typo in the Amiga startup message (i.e., “All rights reserverd”)?

11. bobcorrigan says:

Anyone capture the boot sequence of a PDP/11?

12. teapot says:

This is all kinds of awesome.

13. twency says:

What, no GS/OS?

• twency says:

Ah, my mistake.  It’s right there.  How could I not have instantly recognized my old friend, even after all these years…

14. univac says:

Very nice nostalgic romp. I smiled.
    How about BeOS boot?

• cantsp3ll says:

Yes, please. Heck, booting BeOS 4.5 only took about 11-12 seconds on a dual P3 in 1999.

Oh, baby, you’ve been gone so long. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlOi-L-N0X4

15. Daniel Latta says:

What, no KDE? No Gnome?

16. rocobo9 says:

i love the simplicity and thinking behind the dialogue in the top-right (where each button represents an answer to the question) compared to the example in the top-left where they print an explanation of each buttons function.

simplicity is all too often overlooked by professional designers

17. jhhl says:

On my Amiga, I replaced the hand-holding-Floppy with my own “Amiga 1800″ image, and on many floppies, I replaced the normal boot code with an antivirus “canary in a coal mine” boot track that played a shortened version of the Looney Tunes theme “Merrily we Roll along”, using a program I wrote called BootTune. The idea being when an SCA virus or one of its variants overwrote the boot track with the tune, its absence would notify you so you could clean it out.  In true open fashion, I provided source code.