Tokyoflash's Kisai Stencil watch: telling the time with negative space

14 Responses to “Tokyoflash's Kisai Stencil watch: telling the time with negative space”

1. technogeekagain says:

I’ve been using a font based on the same concept for several decades as a way to write private notes to myself.

2. Antinous / Moderator says:

The first person who says it looks like a swastika is getting a swift visit from the Slap Fairy.

3. robdobbs says:

I got their email this morning and was actually excited about this watch.
    I like it but the type is bad. Terrible might be a better word.For example, the number four  should not have a little block at it’s foot. It reads more like a lower case “y”. And the “1″ reads like 11. A simple pixel outline around the edges would help.So while I was about to rush out and buy this, the details held me back. I mean, it’s all about the type, it should have been a little more thought out. A proper font is needed here. But then this is the same problem I have with all TF watches – and I have a couple: they don’t create interesting new ways to tell time. They create interesting and difficult new ways to tell time. But the price is pretty great though. It’s only 100$ for a limited time.

4. jhoosier says:

OK, I have to ask.  Why is it, every time I try to go to the TokyoFlash website, it tells me that TokyoFlash has been closed?

This is the link I’m forwarded to:  http://www.tokyoflash.com/en/closed/

I’m in Japan, so is it just not available to us?  I’d like to give them my money, but they’re making it difficult.

5. pjcamp says:

The correct time is 5:99?

6. I thought we had already made the simple watches completely readable by the 70s, why are they complicating it?

7. IndexMe says:

This page works: http://www.tokyoflash.com/blog/2012/02/kisai-stencil-concept-to-reality/

• jhoosier says:

Thanks, but apparently only the blog section is available to me.  Any of the other top categories kick me back to the same message, “TokyoFlash has been closed”.

8. IndexMe says:

But this robot face one has me stompered http://www.tokyoflash.com/blog/2012/02/roboface-lcd-watch-winks-the-time-at-you/#more-11855